Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Hi DS,

I believe your tank is what is known as a "bread bin" tank as fitted in the UK from 1971 on. USA exports got the tear drop tank. I think your bike is cool. :cool:

It would be cooler if the rear wheel matched the front.

If I had a '71+, I would want the bread bin and the air boxes.

Henry

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Your tank looks like it doesn't have the seam down the middle so is probably a 73 or 74 on. As HA said it is a UK domestic tank but they did make there way to North America as my 72 originally had one as well and was purchased in Canada. I too prefer that style of tank especially without the seam. Holds more fuel and looks "tougher" and "faster" than the export tank.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
The tank is a UK tank (aka Breadbox) as previuosly stated. However it is a late model UK tank. Note the location of the petcock. Tanks with the petcock in this location are first shown in the '78 parts book on the Silver Jubliee model however I have seen them used on late '77 TR7 models. On the earlier UK tanks the petcocks were approx 5" rearward. I am aware of one other change when the later tanks were used. The under tank "U" rubbers front and rear are the same while there were two different ones used with the earlier UK tanks.
One other item worth noting. When using this tank one must use the UK model seat or risk cracking/spliting the the tank.

K

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I,m always amazed how much detailed information and knowledge is out there --Great info!
Took the words right out of my mouth! Thanks everyone!

Here's a top picture if it, I thought the breadboxes had the seam. The note about the seat... it's original metal underneath, and has the original sticker there, they probably just reupholstered it. It's got a little pull knob.

·
Registered
884 Posts
This my the tank and bike it's on. It is a '72 and it's stock. It's my understanding that around 1972 the factory was sending whatever they could to the US. The then swapped the bars for mid-rise western bars, and the KPH to MPH speedo. Note the longer front fender, also a "Home Model" trait. Mine has the seam.

TD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That has a top seam, and all that I've seen have a seam there.

I looked under the bolt on the top, and also removed the gas cap and felt under there and put a mirror under there.....

NO SEAM down the middle on the top!

Am I reading into this too much, got a friend in the same state that by chance says it's probably an 82-83 tank? Were those logos screw in? I'm about to shine a flashlight into the tank to see what the single screw says behind it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he's saying an indian tank made by indians... not so sure if that's an india market or an India market tank. He's very versed in brit bikes, but the 80's one doesn't slope at the rear like this one does.

The slope of the rear and lack of seam is what distinguishes it from the 80's, maybe? That's a question there! Would the bread bins have a seam up top in the metal?

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I have a breadbox tank without the seam, but it does not have screw holes for the badges. I believe it's a tank from BSA.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
I have a breadbox tank without the seam, but it does not have screw holes for the badges. I believe it's a tank from BSA.
I suspect you will find the badge screw holes were filled in prior to painting the tank. The only BSA that came with that tank was the 1973 BSA T65T. I could be wrong but I dont think so.
I am sure the tank will bolt onto 71/72 A65 as the frames are basically the same as a Triumph.

K

Did some checking today 72 BSA UK model Thunderbolt & Lightning both used the same style UK tank as Triumph. However it was a tank with a center seam like the Triumph but the badge screw holes have different spacing.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
That has a top seam, and all that I've seen have a seam there.

I looked under the bolt on the top, and also removed the gas cap and felt under there and put a mirror under there.....

NO SEAM down the middle on the top!

Am I reading into this too much, got a friend in the same state that by chance says it's probably an 82-83 tank? Were those logos screw in? I'm about to shine a flashlight into the tank to see what the single screw says behind it.
Your not going to find a top seam your tank as it is a late 77 (really78) to 81 UK tank. The seam tank with trim strips was introduced in late 1971 and then used on 72's. In 73 the seam was removed but the shape stayed the same. In late 77 the petcocks were moved forward but that was the only change. that tank stayed in use through 1981.
It is NOT I repeat not a 82 or later tank. Starting with 1982 a redesigned tank came into use which used a flip up gas cap. I know that tanks used in the US also had a key lock in the cap.
To the best of my knowledge the 71/81 breadbox tank has not been repoped in India.
As an aside on my 78 T140 I use a 73 UK tank in original colours with a '82 UK electric start model seat.
I also own 72 UK, 78 TR7 UK, and A NOS Silver Jubliee UK tank.

K

·
Registered
301 Posts
KADUTZ is correct,your friend is wrong.
Here is a link to the '73 Bonnie/Tiger UK brochure.Check the tank,....no seam and screw on badges.
1973 brochure

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Keith B

Tanks for posting the link to the 73 brochure almost felt like I was lookin at my bike. Then I noticed both the Bonnie and Tiger are missing the the front tank tie strap another good way to crack the tank. Also the pictures give a clear shot of the petcock location on the 73-77 tanks (same as 71/72).

K

1 - 14 of 14 Posts