Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old plastic badges off and new metal eyebrow badges on my '08 T100 in 15 minutes, easy as pie.

Waited for a warm night with high humidity (60 F. & rain). Ran some Spider Wire fishing line back and forth a few times under the corners of the old badges, wedged a plastic guitar pick under the corners to begin lifting up, then pulled firmly and steadily with fingers. Voila! Old badges off. Old glue rolled up and off easily with my thumb.

Then, new badges screwed on with Allen head machine screws. The metal eyebrows really look great! (I do want to replace the Allen heads with Torx security screws, but I haven't been able to find any at my local hardware or auto parts stores.)

Next up: Center stand installation!

·
Registered
245 Posts
so. there are holes for screws under the plastic badges? i know that question has been asked before, but i'm not sure i read a straight answer. :confused:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Don't think you'll get a straight answer. The change occured mid to late 08 and on thru 09. You might have studs/holes in the tank if you got an 08 or 09, or you might not.

Go to WalMart, buy a cheap dental mirror, the little round jobber on the end of a shaft that the dentist is always stickeing in your mouth. Probably about 2 bucks. Stick it inside your gas tank, shine a light on the mirror, reflect it over to the side of the tank - basically, you are trying to see the inside of the tank where the current badge is mounted. If you see studs there, you most likely are good to go for a swap. (there is another discussion on whether or not the studs are threaded on the later tanks).

·
Registered
53 Posts
any pics of the new badge? b4 after? also and i'm sure its been said b4 but whats the bolt size? course/fine? just curious.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The change occured mid to late 08 and on thru 09. You might have studs/holes in the tank if you got an 08 or 09, or you might not.
With Propforward's help in response to another thread of mine, I was able to determine that my '08 model T100 was manufactured in August 2007--there's a month/year numerical date code on the VIN label on the headstock (i.e., mine was "08/07"). So I was reasonably confident that my tank would still have screw holes behind the glued-on badges.

any pics of the new badge? b4 after? also and i'm sure its been said b4 but whats the bolt size? course/fine? just curious
My only before pic is here: http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/gallery/abb/fans/100_2213 crop.jpg

I haven't taken any after pics yet. I'll try to take some this weekend and post them.

The proper bolt is a metric machine screw, size M5, pitch 0.8mm, length 16mm. For immediate use, I picked up Allen heads with these specs from my local Ace hardware; for just a little more security, I've ordered Torx head screws in the same specs from the McMaster link Propforward posted in this thread, and I'll put them in instead (with a little Loctite) as soon as they arrive. For installing the torx screws, the proper Torx L-key size is T25.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Were do you buy the metal badges?
For what it's worth, I got my metal Eyebrow badges from Pure Triumph: http://www.pure-triumph.com/products/118 The price is per pair. They also list the Classic and Heritage metal badges.

I'm sure there are other sources, too. You can Google for "Triumph Eyebrow Badge A9758044" (that's the Triumph official part #). I do have a suspicion these may have been discontinued, and we may be restricted to what's left in stock.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm going to need to check the tank on my 50th Anniversary T100 for the threaded studs, as the plastic badges on such a nice bike simply are unacceptable. Has anyone found that their 50th Anniversary tank has the threaded studs under the cheapo plastic badges?

Dick

·
Registered
60 Posts
Two days ago I ordered and received a pair of "classic badges from the dealership in my city. No problem, the set cost me $99, including shipping, and I was able to buy from a local dealership/local owner.
They had absolutely no trouble getting the part, but did not carry them in house.

Its funny that Triumph has missed a sales opportunity. If they wanted to save money, they still could have gone with the cheap plastic badges, but they should not have done away with the mounting holes underneath so they could sell metal badges as accessories.

Seems like they could have both saved money and made money at the same time.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just checked my vin and bike was built 08/07, just like yours. Still going to look in the tank to make 100%. I need to get the plastic off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts