Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase some new tires for my 2013 Triumph Thruxton.
I have the original 100/90/18 in the front and 130/80/17 in the rear.
I am looking at the SHINKO 712 or 230 Tour Masters tires due to good reviews and the value you get.

What I do not understand is, the bike can use a bias ply/radial in the front but the rear must absolutely be a radial tire.
The SHINKO 712 or 230 Tour Masters are Bias Ply tires. Everyone running the 130/90/17 or 150/70/17 rear SHINKO Tires.
Where did you find the Radial tire? I can not for the life of me find a 712 or 230 in that rear radial construction. Or are you guys just running the Bias in the rear?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the rear is originally a Radial construction tire but with inner tubes installed because of the spoked wheels.
And from all the reading I have been doing, everyone says Bias Ply in the rear won't work. Which I am still trying to understand why.
Could I run Bias Ply in the rear? That is another question of mine.

·
Driftless Admin
11,674 Posts
Yeah, I feel like there's a thing where you can't run radial in the front if you have bias on the back. But ... we're not on moto gp bikes. Our bikes aren't very finicky. I've run bias Shinko, Heidenau and Roadrider bias-ply front and back for many miles, and lived to tell the tale. I think most of us have.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I think I have figured everything out.
Many people do not recommend running Radial Front and a Bias Rear due to handling oddities. Not everyone experiences these its a general theme I see.

Thank you everyone for the quick responses. You rock!

·
Registered
287 Posts
People say all kinds of stuff on the internet so take the following with the same pinch of salt Ill urge you take all the naysayers comments but I've mixed and matched tires for years when I had to on various bikes. Try and find tires for 16" mid 80's sport bikes these days... Rubber compound and profile will have more effect on handling than Bias vs Radial. On the Bonnie I strongly doubt you or anyone else here could tell the difference between a radial or Bias ply construction tire all else being equal. Im sure youll live. However as others will point out this is my non expert opinion based on anecdotal evidence not science... But dont expect to get a straight answer from a tire manufacturer either.

Psy

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Well, the rear is originally a Radial construction tire but with inner tubes installed because of the spoked wheels.
And from all the reading I have been doing, everyone says Bias Ply in the rear won't work. Which I am still trying to understand why.
Could I run Bias Ply in the rear? That is another question of mine.
I've been running bias ply tires on my Bonneville for more than 10 years. No problems. Right now I have a Shink 712 up front and Michelin Pilot Active on the rear.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'm on my third Shinko rear tire on my T100. The Tour Master 230 130/80-17 last about eight to nine thousand miles for me, no complaints. It's a bit taller than the OE tire so it drops two or three hundred RPM at cruse speed compared to the 70 series original. Almost like changing to a 19 tooth front sprocket and that's a good thing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I used the 712s on my 2013 Thruxton as well. They lasted surprisingly long given the cost and were nearly as good as the Avon Roadriders that I had been using before them. I'll probably go back to Avons afterwards, but they weren't bad. Bias front and rear is fine. Bias front and radial rear is also fine. The only thing you can't do is radial front and bias rear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your responses! I went ahead and ordered some Shinko 712s for the front and rear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts