Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, to clear some points:

This is my first bike, we don't have the MSF course here so I took one course that was really decent but I used a Suzuki 125cc which is really short and "light". I've rode the Thruxton but I'm having issues with the height on lower speeds, stops and I live in a city with a lot of traffic, so I really want to avoid any issue with that.

I've been searching the forum. I've looked some threads but I still have doubts about the seat height as I'm short as hell (5´4")

I read the manual about the adjustment on the suspension (front and rear) the rear suspension is second to last to the left slot (deep slot), the front one does not have an indicator, I'd like to know how in general this will affect the height of the bike as this will be the cheapest solution

As I just got the bike and safety equipement I'm really short on cash for this and I've been looking for places to buy the rear shocks, locally there are no options so I'll have to import something from Revzilla (this one), the site says they'll fit and I read on one thread that these are good for lowering the height, but I'd like to avoid the extra cash and use it as a last resort

Attachments

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Look for some bonneville length shocks...you should be able to find some stock ones for about $30 on the classifieds section (you need 25 posts to list an ad) or look into TEC shocks that run something like 100 bucks. That will lower the back about an inch.

In front, you'll want to loosen the triple tree pinch bolts and let the fork tubes rise up through the trees by about an inch as well. This will balance out the geometry.

Hope this helps.

--Rich

P.S. - you should also search this and the twins technical forum for 'lowering thruxton' or something similar...this subject has been covered many times and there are a lot of good suggestions on lowering the machine for folks even shorter than 5' 4".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer, I talked to the dealer and he told me my best options were importing from Revzilla or British Imports (apparently Triumph Mexico does not sell the OEM rear shocks of the Bonneville), as the shipping time is really important I'll be ordering from the latter but the dealer made me doubt about the compatibility of the Bonneville rear shocks.

I'll be digging on the forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
It can be done for a few dollars but look at the seat after the shocks. That will give you another inch or two if you choose a seat that goes over the rails and not on top.

As Rich said - do a search. My wife is 5'1" and flat foots it on her Thruxton

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Roland Sands Designs seats are narrower and a bit thinner, but are pricy. Great seats though. I just bought one and love it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you don't already have them, I would recommend good solid riding boots with a thick sole. Not only will it protect your feet and ankles while giving you improved grip on possibly slippery surfaces, in my case they also make the difference between being able to flat foot and not on my bike. Both my husband and I both wear Icon Elsinores and love them. Investing in good gear is one of the best ways to stay safe on your bike, especially while learning!

·
3,007 Posts
You can go an inch lower using Bonneville shocks, but you'll want to mind the forks as you'll add rake. So, you'll probably need to lower the forks through the yokes a bit. All doable.

You can manage it if you scoot up forward, as the seat is narrower near the tank.

Also... Boots. You can gain height with boots.

So these three things and you'll be golden. Plus, there's no need to have to flat foot the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts