Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my pipes loose for my "compression increase experiment" I checked the exhaust valves and they have a white residue.

Does this look normal? Bike has 17,500 miles.

Thanks.

dale

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gee Rob thanks. Should I pee on it like my high school football coach recommended for my athletes' foot?

Dale

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
You could try. But it might be kinda hard at speed and you'd have to remove your air filters.

I would have thought someone would have replied to this by now on a more serious vein.

I'm pretty sure what you see there Dale are just products of combustion. Probably the result of the various additives they put in the gasoline today. I see similar deposits on turbine blades from time to time when they run on liquid fuels.

I would not worry about it unless it started to become a serious deposit and prevented the valve from cooling thru heat transfer.

Others more knowledgeable on white deposits like this might know exactly what they are.

In the meantime, put a little Lotrimin AF in your gas tank and that should keep it under control.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Rob. That's pretty much what I thought, just aired it out to the available brain trust for opinion.

My only nagging concern is....what does AF designate? I don't have any real world experience there?

dale

·
Registered
448 Posts
I checked mine last night, and they were the same colour as the rest of the valve chamber ie Black. If it were me I would probably check my valve gaps first, incase the valves aren't closing fully. How is your compression?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
It would still be good to find out what's causing it. On a spark plug white residue is bad.

I would still check the valve gaps.
White spark plugs are normally not the result of deposits. They are white because they have been overheated. Don't confuse coloration with deposits.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
448 Posts
White spark plugs are normally not the result of deposits. They are white because they have been overheated. Don't confuse coloration with deposits.

regards,
Rob
I'm just trying to emphacize that something must be causing them to be white eg maybe too much heat, or something else.

Whether this is good, bad or normal, I don't know, but mine are all black.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts