Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the pilot screw make up the difference between say a 40 and a 42 pilot jet? My 2007 T100 has always been a hard starter when cold. I currently have 40 pilots 3 1/8 turns out. I was thinking about going to 42's. Bottom line, does a 40 at say 3 1/8 equal a 42 at say 1 1/2 turns out? (Just a rough comparison) Or is it more complicated than what I am thinking?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
My rule of thumb is that if one has to go out more than 3.5 turns, it is best to go to the next size up on the pilot jets. I am not sure you will find much difference with "starting"....running after starting may be a better indicator. I always start mine when cold with the choke (enricher) full on and NO throttle. Outside temp tells me when to move the choke to 1/2 and 0.

My 790 starts and runs (idles) much better w/o the airbox.:D The only other time that it started and ran at idle as good was when I had header pipes w/o the crossover and very open silencers. With that setup I ran 45 pilot jets, but once I replaced the headers with ones that have the crossover pipe, I had to reduce the size of the pilot jets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.