Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dropped off my bike (bonneville t100) for its first service before I went on my road trip. When I got back and picked it up they changed the plugs, put new tires on it, adjusted the chain and changed the oil (once again) using a Lucas oil 10w40 semi synthetic. I don鈥檛 remember asking them to change the oil, it only had 1500 miles on the last change where I was using a full synthetic Mobil1 1040.
I guess my question is, why use a semi synth over a full? Should I stick with the Lucas or go back to the Mobil1 馃槀
Of course this happened as soon as I thought I had it all figured out
Bottle Liquid Tire Fluid Bottle cap

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, there's nothing to figure out. It is a simple 2-step process:
  1. put some oil in it
  2. ride it
No more to it than that, really.
Yea. I don鈥檛 think I really care anymore . I鈥檝e had bad experiences with some of the other bikes I鈥檝e owned so I think that鈥檚 why I鈥檝e been obsessing over it. But at this point whatever. Just thought it was funny

Registered
It's not that simple - Your bike shop sounds typical of most because they have taken your money for unnecessary work...They have definitely done you a disservice by changing out the full synthetic oil way too early...And if they have been dishonest once, well, its not rocket science is it ? Dealers rely on owners who say "whatever" and dont take the time to make sure everything is done properly, because they make more money from you, simple ! How many miles are on your bike ? Did it actually need plugs & tyres and did they do all the important stuff for your road trip, like lubricate and adjust the clutch cable, check brake pad wear, check coolant level, check your lights, check tyre pressures, check & tighten any loose bolts, etc, etc...One thing is for sure...if you don't care, they certainly won't ! A good mate once said to me -- If you cant do the basics yourself "Dont Buy A Motorcycle" because you are the only one who really cares about your safety...Good advice I thought ? Check your chain...I bet it is still out of spec after they adjusted it !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not that simple - Your bike shop sounds typical of most because they obviously don't care because they have taken your money for unnecessary work...They have definitely done you a disservice by putting lower quality oil back in your bike & changing out the full synthetic oil way too early...And if they are dishonest once, well, its not rocket science is it ? They rely on owners who say "whatever" and dont take the time to make sure everything is done properly, because they make more money from you, simple ! How many miles are on your bike ? Did it actually need plugs & tyres and did they do all the important stuff for your road trip, like lubricate and adjust the clutch cable, check brake pad wear, check coolant level, check your lights, check & tighten any loose bolts, etc, etc...One thing is for sure...if you don't care, they certainly won't ! A good mate once said to me -- If you cant do the basics yourself "Dont Buy A Motorcycle" because you are the only one who really cares about your safety...Good advice I thought ? Check your chain...I bet it is still out of spec after they adjusted it !
Checked the chain- all good- the tires had tread but were original to the bike (it鈥檚 a 2004) and I鈥檝e got 8k on my Bonny. The plugs I usually change for every oil change so I told them to do it. It鈥檚 just the oil I didn鈥檛 ask for. But that Lucas stuff looks good - I just don鈥檛 know why they went for semi synth

Registered
It sounds like you don't have a very safe maintenance approach...I can't believe you had the original tyres on your bike for 18 years ? That is seriously dangerous & they must have been very perished...I have never heard of tyres being on a bike that long unless it was being kept in someone's garage & hadn't been ridden in years ! You don't need to change plugs at every oil change, there is no point, unless you change oil as infrequently as tyres, lol...Can I suggest that you learn a little about servicing your own motorcycle because bikes are not like cars...you don't usually get away without injury if a serious problem arises on a motorcycle when you are riding it...I am amazed your tyres didn't blow out at some point and throw you into an oncoming car or any other number of possibilities...You said that you don't understand why the shop put semi synthetic oil in your bike, but why wouldn't they ? There is nothing wrong with semi syn oil & I assume you didn't ask them to put full synthetic back in your bike...Did you tell them how long the previous oil had been in your bike ? If the oil was in your engine for over 12 months while you only ran up 1500 miles, the shop would change it out for new stuff regardless...Oil changes aren't completely reliant on miles traveled ! Did they check all the other points i mentioned before you go on your trip ? If they didn't, someone needs to, imo, because -- if the tyres have been on your bike for 14 years there is obviously not a lot of maintenance going on...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you don't have a very safe maintenance approach...I can't believe you had the original tyres on your bike for 18 years ? That is seriously dangerous & they must have been very perished...I have never heard of tyres being on a bike that long unless it was being kept in someone's garage & hadn't been ridden in years ! You don't need to change plugs at every oil change, there is no point, unless you change oil as infrequently as tyres, lol...Can I suggest that you learn a little about servicing your own motorcycle because bikes are not like cars...you don't usually get away without injury if a serious problem arises on a motorcycle when you are riding it...I am amazed your tyres didn't blow out at some point and throw you into an oncoming car or any other number of possibilities...You said that you don't understand why the shop put semi synthetic oil in your bike, but why wouldn't they ? There is nothing wrong with semi syn oil & I assume you didn't ask them to put full synthetic back in your bike...Did you tell them how long the previous oil had been in your bike ? If the oil was in your engine for over 12 months while you only ran up 1500 miles, the shop would change it out for new stuff regardless...Oil changes aren't completely reliant on miles traveled ! Did they check all the other points i mentioned before you go on your trip ? If they didn't, someone needs to, imo, because -- if the tyres have been on your bike for 14 years there is obviously not a lot of maintenance going on...
I鈥檝e only had the bike for a month. Ive put 3k~ miles on it in that time. I鈥檝e changed the oil twice now since when I got it. There was only 1500 miles on the last oil change so I didn鈥檛 ask them to change it. The tires had plenty of tread on them, but at closer look the mechanic found a date stamped on them from 2006 so asked if I wanted to change them. I agreed and the difference is noticeably better. Sorry for any confusion. I really just brought it to the place to have them look at it as it鈥檚 brand new to me.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

Registered
Ok, no problems...lucky to notice the age of the tyres, it could have caused big problems on your road trip..You did say the tyres were original to the bike which is a 2004 model, so how can the tyres be stamped 2006 ? Nice looking bike !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, no problems...lucky to notice the age of the tyres, it could have caused big problems on your road trip..You did say the tyres were original to the bike which is a 2004 model, so how can the tyres be stamped 2006 ? Nice looking bike !
Yea there are some discrepancies with this thing. I couldn鈥檛 imagine someone changing the tires after 2 years especially when we consider it only had 5k miles on it when I got it. So who knows. But anyway-my bad, I guess they鈥檙e more or less 鈥渙riginal 鈥 to the bike. From a certain point of view ;P
Although now it won鈥檛 need anything for some time now I鈥檓 hoping

Registered
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
As far as the full synthetic vs semi-synthetic debate goes, don't worry about it at all. Wet clutches can be finicky about what oil you use, but there is no general rule of full vs semi vs dino (which is actually ancient trees, not dinosaurs) that can help you determine which your particular clutch will like better. My previous bike loved the factory Honda oil, but was incredibly clunky with Mobil 1's 4T oil. Most people swear by 4T, but my particular bike didn't like it so I stuck with the factory Honda oil. My current Street Triple seems to love 4T, so that's what I give her. I'm sure she would do fine with plenty of other oils too. The differences between them are much smaller than most people think they are. If your bike rides well with the Lucas, there isn't a reason to change it just to get fully synthetic instead of semi.

Reactions: FreedomLiftOff

Registered
In terms of the semi syn, personally I don't think it will matter, I've just swapped from using the Castrol race 4t as specified in the manual (for watercooled twins) to shell advance semi synthetic, it still meets the standards specified in the manual which to me is really all that matters.
I probably won't acrue the mileage to the interval (10000 miles) before the alternative one year interval came up so I can stick to just swapping it once per year for now however, changing oil or filters before their time is never a bad thing so I would probably drop my mileage interval to 5000 - 7500 miles just out of personal choice if the distance was getting put on the bike within a year.

In terms of maintenance it's all personal choice, you can either follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter or create your own maintenance plan with shorter intervals if you deem fit, just so long as the golden rule of prevention is better than any cure is applied then you'll be right 馃憤

Administrator
That's a very sharp looking bike and looks to be a really good find! Sounds like you are ready for a Triumph adventure.

Reactions: FreedomLiftOff

Registered
I鈥檝e only had the bike for a month. Ive put 3k~ miles on it in that time. I鈥檝e changed the oil twice now since when I got it. There was only 1500 miles on the last oil change so I didn鈥檛 ask them to change it. The tires had plenty of tread on them, but at closer look the mechanic found a date stamped on them from 2006 so asked if I wanted to change them. I agreed and the difference is noticeably better. Sorry for any confusion. I really just brought it to the place to have them look at it as it鈥檚 brand new to me. View attachment 765291
Looks to be a beauty--that bike. This forum is a great place to learn--well intentioned group of people not wanting anyone to get hurt and we all start learning from some place. Don't feel beat up by any means. Welcome and you're asking all the right questions and being transparent gets the right answers or gets you closer to right answers--you shouldn't be dragged through the mud for that. You're trying to deal with a dealer and a maintenance crew. Not everyone is born with a wrench in their hand, wrenches happen to people at different times in life.

Registered
Yea there are some discrepancies with this thing. I couldn鈥檛 imagine someone changing the tires after 2 years especially when we consider it only had 5k miles on it when I got it. So who knows. But anyway-my bad, I guess they鈥檙e more or less 鈥渙riginal 鈥 to the bike. From a certain point of view ;P
Although now it won鈥檛 need anything for some time now I鈥檓 hoping
Buying any used bike will be a secondary learning experience-what did the past people do or not do to the bike. I bought a used 2001 and the prior owner did a few things --claims to have done jetting on the carbs, put an oil pressure gauge on, made the seat quick release and I've got wonky throttle grips, not bad but it looks like he took a scissors to the ends and the they're about 2 mm or so short. It's a minor aesthetic issue that i don't care much about. General overall maintenance was good--saw the kid had a shop, manual, hoist, lots of paperwork but lots of times sellers just don't keep receipts so much of the buying is based on long yarns spun by the seller. I love the "prior owner may have dropped it " line. There are good posts here about 1) the general once over to do before riding each time (brakes, chain, loose bits, tire integrity, how does it sound upon starting, does it start? Someone the other day (not totally in humor) rolled their bike down a long drive on a hot day only to find the bike didn't start. Pushing 500 pounds is a work out that's not necessary but doth make stronger thighs and calves and forearms. Someone else wrote about the spreadsheet they keep for maintenance--the what and when and I believe had alerts for what next.....Anyhow beneath many of the great posters surliness is some form of caring and a love of human life and riding (to degrees). Ride safe, learn, enjoy. I whole heartedly embrace ignorance over pretending to know (thus not asking ) and thus ask and will take whatever beating comes as long as requisite knowledge from fellow Rats is in the pie. I also know that I know what I don't know and would find a decent mechanic ((if they exist in my or your neck of the woods) or very knowledgeable biker friend--that I have--that gets me through repairs and maintenance. Amazing the people I meet that walk up to me with great Bonnie knowledge and offers to help, call, use their garage etc. I don't know if it's motorcycle people or Bonnie people or both but it's a great breed of humanity at times.

Registered
As far as the full synthetic vs semi-synthetic debate goes, don't worry about it at all. Wet clutches can be finicky about what oil you use, but there is no general rule of full vs semi vs dino (which is actually ancient trees, not dinosaurs) that can help you determine which your particular clutch will like better. My previous bike loved the factory Honda oil, but was incredibly clunky with Mobil 1's 4T oil. Most people swear by 4T, but my particular bike didn't like it so I stuck with the factory Honda oil. My current Street Triple seems to love 4T, so that's what I give her. I'm sure she would do fine with plenty of other oils too. The differences between them are much smaller than most people think they are. If your bike rides well with the Lucas, there isn't a reason to change it just to get fully synthetic instead of semi.
There was a whole long thread here, a ways back (years) about the Mobil 4 T which I'm going to try expressly for the wet clutch thing on my 2001. Some said it quieted down the shifting. I have hot summers cold winters, throw in 10w40 whatever and will try the Mobil 4T-anything that folks (if I see a few folks giving accolades) here has impacted performance positively on my specific year seems worth a go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts