Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day, just dropped in to say hi and introduce myself to those who don't visit the BHO or S3 Forums.

In a moment of clearer vision and in an effort to regain some comfort while on my 50km commute, I have traded my beloved '99 Speed Triple for a brand new 06 Tiger, in silver. 'course I'd have rather it had been black, but in Sydney, they're quite scarce. It came complete with the side panniers, heated grips and full rego and CTP as part of the deal. I picked it up yesterday and the difference is night and day.

To tell you the truth I would have rather kept them both, the Speedy had travelled 103,000 trouble free kms, but gave me wrist and a$s pain in heavy traffic. Plus it needed new brake rotors, tyres, chain and sprockets and I was made an offer I shouldn't refuse.

I've spent most of this week reading all the tech posts about mirrors, headlights, screens, tyres and luggage, but to be honest, so far I can't see many changes I will make.

I'll do the headlight relay conversion and add my original ventura bag and leave the hard cases off except for long trips. I may change the mirrors or the screen or both if it really gets to me, but so far it's fine up to about 120kph (I'm 6' and 190lbs).

So, thanks for the great reading over the last couple of days and all the great information.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have this same exact bike- I believe you've made a heck of a choice! BTW what exactly is a "full rego"?
Now get started with those break-in miles so you can go fast! :-D

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mattsy, "full rego" is vehicle registration. We get a permanent number plate, and pay registration fees every year and get a registration lable to hang on the bike somewhere. It's like the British MOT or your license plate I guess.

Yes, I did make the right choice! Be in the shed most of tomorrow sorting out the creature comforts!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Miker and welcome,

You will enjoy this bike. I'm assuming you made a deliberate choice to get an 06 over an 07?

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adv, yes I did make a concious choice, both for price and riding plans. The 06 was cheap, new and came with bags and heated grips and from all reports is more off road capable than the 07 will be. CTP insurance is cheaper for less than 1000cc as well in NSW.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Miker,

You made a great choice. The only way you could have done better would have been to get a British Racing Green one (They're faster!?). I've had an '05 for 2 years now, and fall in love with it all over again every time I take it for a long ride on dirt roads.

I don't know how tall you are, but I reckon you'll find an Eagle Screen (from W.A.), and mirror extenders (from Jack Lilley) well worth the small cost. Combined they completely eliminated the wind buffeting for me (I'm 6'-3" and short in the leg department).

Although I haven't dropped mine yet (Touch wood!) I really like the Touratech crash bars. They suit the Tiger's lines very well, and give the bike a bit of mean look.

When you fit the extra relays to make all the lights work you might also think about fitting Phillips Blue Vision, or other extra bright bulbs.

Last Autumn I took my Tiger up the Barry Way from Nowa Nowa to Jindabyne - a fantastic ride on the dirt which the Tiger handled with ease.

Good luck mate, and enjoy the Tiger.

·
Registered
518 Posts
but gave me wrist and a$s pain in heavy traffic.
It's called "getting Old" :razz:

Congrats on the bike, I too traded my S3 in for a new Tiger and yes, the difference is night and day. Love having the power of the speedy and the comfort of the Tiger. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts