Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a mod on the Thunderbird with a T509 header, and need some experienced advice on a decent muffler to compliment the Bird...without being overly loud.

I looked at a Lossa, which is too short (at 12") and way too loud IMO.
There's alot of talk about Emgo, but they are loud as hell too, even with a re-pack.

Does anyone have experience with Emgo Dunstall Tunable 17" cone? Is it packable?

I like the TOR, and D&D always sounds good, just don't want to spend a whole lot, now.

Your opinions and guidance is always welcomed here.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I'm a little confused by what you mean by Dunstall Tunable 17" cone.

I have Emgo shorty reverse cones (17"). I built my own baffling that fits in the existing baffle area. Got the sound just right and added a little backpressure.

Just wrapping the baffle was still way too loud. I needed something to disrupt the airflow inside the hollow baffle tube a bit. Used steel brushes with large washers on the end.

Cheap solutions that looks good and sounds great.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Take a look at Cone Engineering, they have a larger selection of stainless cones than Lossa. I haven't hear them in person but for a complete stainless steel reverse cone with stainless packing, their prices are very resonable.

They have an 18" long "quieter" cone which might fit your bill.

I have Emgo reverse cones on my Adventurer and they sound like crap. I plan on getting one of those quieter cones installed whenever a certain someone gets around to selling me their 3into1 :D

On my Legend there is a previous owner made 3into1 with a Beuwolf can. I don't know what the can came on originally but it sounds spectacular! The can has a 2" inlet and it's about 18" long.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks native, for the heads-up on the baffling of the "shorty". This is what I'm reading on other forums, as well. This is an ebay link to the "tunable" Dunstall cone that Emgo makes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151386206241?item=151386206241&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

It seems to work by plugging the 3 holes with the provided bolts, forcing the air through the baffle. It looks the same as the shorty that you (?) have, but with a different baffle.

Rollingslow,

The Yoshi header from the Super 3 Daytona would not accept the universal cone as we have been looking at. The pics I send will clarify that for you. The header is a full stepped design that is about 2-2 1/4 inch diameter to where the "can" attaches. That is one of the reasons why the header provides so much increase in power.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Wish I had seen this before I got my emgos! It looks like a very good idea and a better platform for modification than the stock emgo. Price is good too.

Same concept I used. Limit the air that blasts directly through the middle. I also used the steel brush to disrupt the flow through the middle. It would be easy to stick one in these baffles too. Curious to hear if it works well with just packing material.

Heads up on the adapters for emgos. They don't fit perfectly. Leave off the smallest one and make your own ring from thinner sheet metal and you can get a better seal and get the pipes on and off faster. If you use the smallest ring it is a tough fit. I also found I needed a healthy amount of sealant to get the adapters airtight.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the diameter of your header...where the Emgo connects? The T509 header is 1 3/4", so no adaper ring would be needed.

I'm also looking at spring retainers for the muffler I use. The header has them as stock, and now. to find some heavy stainless wire to form them and have welded to the muffler.

I think I'm going to order these Emgo's tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Not sure the diameter of the header. Just know that the smallest adapter on the emgo is too small and the next one is too big. That is why I used the sheet metal adapter I made.

Just rejetted to 40/100 today and it is just singing! There is a speeding ticket in my near future.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, Native, the stock headers are 1 1/2" on the Tbird. The 3/1 T509 header is 1 3/4". With that said, the Emgo shouldn't need a shim adapter with my exhaust.

I ordered one today....should be here by the end of the week. It was a dilemma trying to choose between black and chrome finish, so I went with chrome.

.......and I used to tell my Harley riding friends that chrome was for sissies. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts