Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. The last time I was on I bike, the gearshift and footbrake were on the opposite sides. Only had one other bike: a well used 1970 Triumph TR6R 650 Black that I got in 81 and tried with limited success to keep running until about 89.

After that bike died I thought I was done. Till last year about this time I caught myself staring at a parked black and red T-100 and realized (i) that it was brand new, (ii) that they must be making them again (yeah it took me a few years to tumble to that) and (iii) that there must be dealerships to help keep them running. Hmm. Which led me to this forum where I've been lurking and learning ever since. Decided to wait for the EFI, put some cash aside and tell no one...

So I finally bought a new 2009 T-100 Green/White. Spouse is not exactly thrilled but I don't think a classic, sedate (right?) motorcycle is too much to ask out of life. She gets $8K (Shsss!) for whatever she wants.

Last weekend took it for my first spin -- first ride in 20 years. I thought once around China Camp from the dealership in downtown San Rafael should be a good 20 miles or so. Heh. Lucas Valley Road, Nicasio, Point Reyes Station, Stinson Beach, Mt. Tam, Muir Beach... 75 miles of twisties on God's own motorcycle roads with the hills as green as Ireland (for two weeks anyway, then the fires start.)

At the end I was as relaxed as I have ever been, except for that one time on intravenous sedation. The only glitch was that I kept trying to footbrake using my left foot and shift with my right... gotta rewire some neurons there.

And the fifth gear - the one that I kept looking for on the 1970 but which did not then exist. Scared myself &^*~less on the highway. And I was thinking maybe a 19-tooth sprocket? Uh no; not for a long time; way down the list. Instead of screwing with the gears, at these speeds, I gotta upgrade the gear I'm wearing. Seriously. (half helmet, what was i thinking?)

It's still mostly stock but I'll get pics up this weekend. Western bars installed, grab bar installed, NH Togas on order (Hey Norman, get your production line in gear already; it's spring and you got a 6-week back-order delay for Togas??!) Also on order: forest green fly screen (from madss), Napolean bar ends and red LEDs for the tach and speedo (from new bonneville), the NH gear indicator thing (from NH.) That oughta keep me busy for a while.

Cheers all; look forward to seeing you Bay Area folks out on the roads.

Steve K

·
30,525 Posts
Sounds like you have some pretty good ideas on how to make your bike "yours".

Cingrats! Well done on your choice, and welcome to the forum. Jump in, have a look around, enjoy, and let's see pics of that bike when you have time!

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Welcome mate. Yours is a familiar story. You'll be like a kid in a lolly shop (candy store) with so many things you can do to make your bike yours.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Well, good for you, Steve. After the first trip around the block on a new Bonneville, I knew I'd like it - a lot! Now, with over 20k miles on 'em, I like 'em even more.
Good luck with the bike.
Oh, and there is an oil drain plug on the bottom so you don't have to tip it over to change the oil!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I jumped from a 1964 T100 to a 2006 Scrambler, still have to think about my feet and the whole brake/gearchange thing. Welcome to you.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Steve,

I was there last week - both physically and mentally ... I too bought a new Bonnie Black from Hattar after about 40 years of being done with bikes ... HAH! Took delivery 10 days ago (after waiting for 6 weeks for the togas to arrive and then just decided to take the bike as is for now) and put 185 miles on it during my first day ... and my togas are being installed this week along with the 500 mile service - so the wait was put to good use. Have patience, NH has the production back on track. Welcome from another NUB who has more than once in the last 10 days shifted with the right foot no no avail.:D

That green and white bonnie is a nice bike ... spent a long time looking at her while waiting for my black ...

Paul

·
Registered
289 Posts
Steve, Sounds like you have a great bike.. I grew up on Brit bikes in the 60’s myself.. Until recently I had 2 new Bonnies, a ’69 T120R and a ’71 Norton Commando. I’ve recently downsized, selling the ’69 and a ’03 T100. I have one of the limited edition 50th Anniversary T100s that I’ve put 800+ miles on – I like the fuel injection.

Funny thing.. The new Bonnie shifts like all new 5-speed bikes – left side, 1 down, 4 up. The ’69 was 1 down, 3 up on the right side, and the Norton is 1 up, 3 down, also on the right side. Ya gotta be thinkin’ when you swap bikes.

This past Sunday I had the chance to ride a buddy’s ’39 Indian.. get this. Throttle – left side. Foot clutch – left side. Spark advance (on, toward me, off, away from me) – right side where the throttle is on all ‘normal’ bikes. Shift – ‘suicide’ shift on the right side of the tank.

Brother, I gotta tell ya.. I’ve been riding for 45 years, and it took every ounce of concentration I could muster to get and keep the bike moving… But, once I’d ridden it a few miles, things became a lot easier.

In case you're interested, the lads over on the New Triumph Bonneville Forum will host their annual Bonnie Rally in Cambria, CA in August. Check out the info here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/New_Bonneville/messages?msg=21725.1

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Welcome Steve! I ride my old bikes as often as the new ones, and somehow intuition guides me on rear brake and shifting. If I get in trouble I've learned to use both hands and both feet until I can think it through. Your neurons will re-wire themselves soon, I'm sure.

You'll like the Togas, and I suggest you consider a Power Commander for your EFI bike.

Ride safely and get some good gear...

Dick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

for the kind words of welcome, everyone.

Paul F: talk about parallels! I too was keeping my bike at Hattar waiting for the togas to come (and the wife to calm down), but forget it, come Saturday I'm riding it home regardless. We must have crossed paths over the last two weekends but I don't recall anyone messing with another bonnie.

They said last Saturday that one other guy had ordered Togas as well, and if they put on yours this week... I can't hardly wait. My 70 had Togas, and the sound of that bike is what I loved as much as anything about it.

Let us know how the remap works with your Togas, ok, assuming that's what you do. I've been debating that issue with the guys there and they come down pretty strong on the side of doing the remap. Having done some riding on the stock pipes I'll have a basis for comparison.

The bonnie black is just classic bad-ass; should be the official bike of hard-core Raider fans. My 650 was all black. Love all the color combos but the green got me the most. And, as I told the spouse, the kids have been insisting that from now on we all have to buy only green vehicles, right?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hello, Steve, and welcome to this forum. I, too, had the
problem switching from a Triumph 6T to the wonderful world
of Honda. Made lots of unintentional down shifts without the
clutch, but it comes along.
BTW if you look, the brake and the shifter are still on opposite
sides. (I hope)
cg

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Steve, nice to meet you. I too have recently aquired a new T100 after 20 + years away from riding. So I know how you feel. I absolutely love my Black and Opal.

Ya, $8K ;) I saw your list of mods.

My Togas are also on backorder. Norman said in an email yesterday they are putting in overtime and the Togas should be shipped in three weeks. Lets hope so (I agree that he should have seen spring coming - It must be all that hand polishing:rolleyes:). I think that the NH Classics will be the most important mod I will be making on the bike.

The remap thing has been well hashed out on this forum and I am going to run the factory map at first to see how it runs. (I hope I get some nice popping on decel just like the Triumphs of old). I know there are several of us here who are interested to see if you end up remapping and your ride impressions before and after.

Ride safe and have fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts