Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I happened to be perusing CL and came upon a 1999 Adventurer which looks to be in good condition aside from it not running.

It's got 30k
Saddlebags
a little bit of rust (but we are on an island and it is 13yrs old)
doesn't run - owner says it needs "coils and a tuneup"

willing to let it go for 1200 obo (I'm thinking of offering $800)

Haven't seen it in person yet, but hopefully will this week.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I'd want to hear it crank over without any noises from the sprag (starter) clutch (enginer out & split crankcase to fix).

Check the coolant level & query the owner to find out if there's been any overheating episodes. Coolant expansion tank is just about visible on the r/hand side behind the front of the fuel tank, with high/low marks. (Can be hard to read.)

Coil failure usually gives bad misfiring rather than no firing at all, but it's quite plausible it needs coils anyway (~$200 for 3 Nologys). No spark at all likely means crank sensor (~$80) or Igniter (~$250 aftermarket).

But if it's been standing a while, the no start is just as likely to be gummed up pilot jets.

Could well be a bargain at the price - 30k miles is no concern if reasonably maintained.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For this money, you can't go wrong.. even if he took $1000, it's worth twice that or more in parts.

You could have this running in a weekend.. don't be scared of the big ticket fixes which honestly are pretty slim.. they are good to know about, obviously, but they are unlikely.

Snag it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses! I'll get in touch with the owner and check it out. I'll try to get it to turn over - is there a way I can bypass the coils to see if I can get it to fire?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Not sure what you mean by bypass the coils?

But I would concentrate on getting to hear it turn over. If it needs jump leads on the battery, the seat will have to come off by removing the two fiddly screws at the back. Oh wait, it's an Adventurer - not sure if seat fixing is the same as the others?

I do agree with other posts that expensive repairs are not likely to be needed, so I'd still consider it if it's really not possible to crank it over.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, but when I called (after emailing a couple times) I was told it was sold yesterday :-/ If only they had gotten back to me, it could be sitting in my garage right now in pieces! Oh well, I guess I'll just do more stuff to the bonne.
Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was told it was sold yesterday :-/
Unfortunately from what I see and hear about, when these bikes come up you have to move fast. There are a lot of people who are looking and quite a few who are more than willing to dig into them. They are very easy to work on and I can speak from experience that there is a ton of help from the folks here on this site.

Too bad you did not see it a day or so earlier. Good Luck on the next one!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree. Years ago and after having been a day late and a dollar short just missing some really nice deals, my mentor clued me in with this bit of advice. You gotta be very quick to reply to a new ad and reply with these exact words, "I have cash and I'm coming right now with a trailer". There is no questioning of condition or priceat this time.

For Triumphs, we got Ms B's '95 for $1,400 ($1,800 ask) and the seller held it for us because we basically promised full cash upon inspection within 24hrs. My $1,000 1998 showed up on CL 75 miles away on a Thurs morning. At 7pm, seller returned my voice mail first only because I left the "I have cash and I'm coming with a trailer now" message! I I cleared my Friday appointments to go get it at noon. He also held it after many other calls because someone was already coming to pick it up the next day for full price. BTW, his $1,500 ask settled for $1,000 because of the bargaining power of $100 bills in my hand next to my trailer with the ramps down ready to load.

This "I'll come see it this weekend" and "What is the least you'll take" is why these bikes are already in other's garages before you even think about them again. :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts