Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an earlier thread on heated grips and I have an issue with mine.

Someone had a quick look and said the grips themselves are fine, the fuse is fine but couldn't figure out what else there was to look at as he didnt have a wiring diagram.

I've read here about a relay, but i have no documentation for these. I'd like to keep tracking down the issue with it, and wondered first of all where is the relay? is it a little black plastic box under the seat near the battery? Is it a standard electronic part could get from an RS catalogue?

Any tips or photos?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ahhhh yes, thats rite. My (triumph) heated grips have a relay thats mounted in the front fairing, behind the headlights.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Look between the headlights in this photo, the relay is tucked up there right under the instrument cluster. It's the only relay up there. You should be able to trace it from the wire from the grip switch.

Check the 3 wire main connector first and see if you have 12v constant, 12v switched and ground.
you should have an audible click from the relay when you flip the switch (ignition on)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that'll help alot.

Time to hit the haynes manual then and wait for a dry day when I can get the fairing off and take a look.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one other question.

I've never taken the faring off or fixed an issue like this, pretty new to looking after bikes.

What type of relay is it, i.e. is it one you can easily get hold of and how easy is it to get to the relay. The haynes manual show taking the side panels and fairing off as just undoing a bunch of screws pretty much.

Just figuring out if its a half hour job or an all day one

·
Registered
764 Posts
I saw an earlier thread on heated grips and I have an issue with mine.

Someone had a quick look and said the grips themselves are fine, the fuse is fine but couldn't figure out what else there was to look at as he didnt have a wiring diagram.

I've read here about a relay, but i have no documentation for these. I'd like to keep tracking down the issue with it, and wondered first of all where is the relay? is it a little black plastic box under the seat near the battery? Is it a standard electronic part could get from an RS catalogue?

Any tips or photos?
The point of the relay is to switch off the heated handgrips when the motorcycle is not running to prevent your battery running down when not in use.

If you don't already have a relay for the heated hangrips, you will need one. It is just a standard 4 pin relay from any auto parts shop.

On the 1050 Sprints the 3 pin connector is as follows: Blue/Red wire is used to energise the relay coil (switched 12V) , Purple wire to provide power for handgrips (constant 12V) via the relay and the black is the earth wire

I assume it is probably the same on the 955s.

Good Luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if its a standard auto part I can get at halfords then I guess I just need to get the courage up to take off the side panels an the fairing off. This is all assuming its the relay, which I think it must be. Apparently the grips themselves checked out ok, the switch is getting power from the battery.

I'd leave it as is, but if its got heated grips then it would be nice for them to work and not just have a duff switch.

·
Registered
466 Posts
you can remove the front fairing without removing the side fairings,

Remove the side mirrors, then the 6 fairing screws (2 on top, and 4 under the nose).

The fairing will then pull of straight forward, there are 2 locator pins molded into the plastic, so don't pull up or twist until the pins are clear.

good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i got the fairing off, takes ages and a pain. The relay clicked when the ignition is on so i thought it must be ok, and have no electrical testing stuff.

Chickened out and went to the triumph dealer. He checked it all out and turns out it is the relay, must be some internal corrosion by the look of it. They didn't have one in so ordered one and moved the connector to a place I can more easily get to via the side panel. I did try going to halford ands another electrical place but the closest match they have is a 12v 40a and I dont know enough about the electrics to know if its just like a fuse, in that you can put bigger in.

So I'll wait a couple of days and get the one from the dealer, plug it in and hey presto i hope to have warm hands again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts