Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Triumph store, North Coast Motorcycle of Perrysburg OH, has permanently closed it's doors as of Dec. 18th.

This is terrible news. They were a good dealer, and were very positive about their relationship with Triumph.

My next closest dealer is in Detroit, 90+ miles away, but I won't even bother riding there.

[email protected], another orphan motor vehicle in my garage.

:(

[ This message was edited by: BlitzPig on 2006-12-20 11:57 ]

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Sorry to hear the news about your dealer. I have one very close to me, but it's a multi brand shop that can order parts, but rarely has anything in stock. If you do your own wrenching, it shouldn't present too much of a problem. If not, perhaps there's a good independent shop in your area. I've been through this with BMW for years. My dealer (although there are closer ones) is located in New Philadelphia, OH .... 60 miles via Interstate, 90 the way I normally ride there. I have found all the good back roads in between, which allows me to turn the trip into more fun, less work.

The biggest problem is finding some kindred spirit to follow me down, and bring me home in the event I need to leave the bike. Often, this dealer will supply me with a loaner bike, which makes life good.

Bob

·
Registered
519 Posts
That's terrible news...I bought mine from Northcoast Motorcycles....They had just built a new store off the turnpike. I drove from Youngstown area up there to buy mine and they were excellant. Is this the same store? I thought it was Northcoast Motorcycles of Toledo?

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Wow, thats incredible! They seemed to be going like gangbusters with several brands and putting on Ohio Bike Week. From their website it seems that they could not recover from the loss of Indian. Thats too bad. :(

Bike Bandit is an excellent place to get OEM parts on the internet. They seem to get them to me just as fast as, or even faster than, the local dealer.

[ This message was edited by: raproe on 2006-12-20 14:52 ]

·
Registered
711 Posts
That is sad to see. Looks like a very professional operation and Top 100 every year was by design not accident. Tough to lose 1 of your 2 "mainstream" brands that you based a business plan on. They were uphill from the get go and I imagine carrying big dollar floor plan costs on the "custom" bikes.

I bet these guys will be back with a new plan. Affirms my concerns on all the boutique shops out there, including HD, carrying a lot of square footage and a lot more overhead. Don't know what the final straw was on this shop, but if they went under as a "good" shop, I wonder how close to the edge the "crappy" shops are.

Good luck on finding a new shop, maybe call and see if their good wrenches are remaining in the area.

BobW

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I'm lucky in that my sealer has Suzuki and Moto Guzzi. They are thinking about taking on Aprilia. You do need a "mainstrem" line if you have Triumph. I think depending on location, it's very hard to sell enough Triumphs to stay open. My guys used to have BMW as well, but BM decided that a good old fashioned shop was not high end enough for their product. Big gap in the Chicago area for them, but BM doesn't care. Triumph is big on squeezing dealers to go one line. It may work in England, but it won't pay the bills here.

·
Registered
290 Posts
BlitzPig
Man, that stinks! I would have to travel about 70 miles west to the only Triumph dealer around, the sad part being is it wouldn't matter if it was next door! I still wouldn't buy from them! They wanted $45 over Triumph MSRP on a set of soft bags! So I now buy from Capitol Area Triumph in PA, great people! Oh ya, bought the bags from them along with other parts.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I think a move to Thailand by Triumph will be focused on the BOOMING Asian market more than the US at first. Dealers have a hard time with floor plan carrying cost this time of year. The Big Four ahve gotten pretty heavy handed in their allocation of mis-marketed product, trying to ram bikes that don't sell here down the dealers throat. I think the days of good old fashioned cycle shops that repair bikes will be a thing of the past, as the Europeans want to get to the HD boutique approach with disposable sales and service people who just as soon sell widgets as motorcycles. Buy a service manual for any long term bike you own and get OEM tools where needed for Triumphs.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My nearest dealer is about 60-70 miles away. Life Cycle of Kalamazoo, MI Thay carry Triumph, KTM and Ducati… an interesting mix. Can't say those choppers would entice me to come looking. Reminds me of Windwalkers in Naperville, IL. A Triumph dealer that also leases choppers??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.