Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst out on my 2001 Sprint ST today the engine suddenly died. The oil light only came on. The engine would not restart. The fuel pump was found not to be running. The rescue service technician removed & refitted the electrical supply to the pump & gave the pump body a tap. The pump then ran & the bike got me home. But ........ the engine management light remains on & does not respond to the usual 3 fan cycles treatment. Help please.
Chris

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Basically either the problem wasn't rectified or the cycles weren't complete. I would take it in to the shop and have them give it a once over.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Thanks Dave,
All back to normal.
Regards,
Chris
You are welcome Chris,

I am glad you are all sorted. A common mistake in the reset cycle peeps make is touching or blipping the throttle which as you can imagine totally defeats the purpose by confusing the Sagem ECU.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
BTW, if you have to "tap" your fuel pump then your fuel pump is on its way out. The fuel pump is a basic electric motor with two copper or brass contacts spinning on a copper plate. The contact between the two is what makes it run. When the contacts get worn or when they have a carbon build up they sit on a dead spot and the bike stops. WHen he tapped the pump he effectively moved the contacts off that spot and it started.

Start looking for a fuel pump or it will do it again eventually.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is still the chance that it was the power supply connector making bad contact. I will be removing it to spray it with contact cleaner.
Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts