Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So...I emailed my insurance company regarding the fact that I have to pay a $400/year surcharge on my 900 Sprint because it's classed as a sportbike. I have owned, ridden and raced sportbikes and as much as I love my Sprint, those 900's were not sport bikes. Not with those bars and pegs and that softly sprung non-adjustable fork holding up a bit too much weight (the bike ...not me). Anyway, I explained the difference and asked who I should contact in order to fight this unwinnable battle. Their reply? "According to our underwriting standards, your motorcycle is a sportbike". Say what? Did they actually read my email (their reply included my email)? Did the reader have the ability to read and understand the English language? Does the person's I.Q. actually surpass their shoe size? I replied to their reply saying basically what I did in the previous 3 sentences. I know I can't win, but at least I can be rude.

Oops, this should have gone in the General, Biker Hang Out forum. Now what do I do?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
No worries, I'll move it. :D

My old insurance company wanted something like $4500/year to insure my Sprint RS. My new insurance company only wanted $1800. Guess which one classed it as a sportbike? (Hint: the same one I told to choke on a... Ahem. The same one I told to take a flying leap.)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Shop around! In the time I've owned my Daytona, I've had one-year quotes vary from $750 to over $2000. I'd be really surprised if arguing got you anywhere. And by 'really surprised,' I mean flabbergasted.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Geez I only pay around $200 a year for full coverage on the VFR....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Mark.
Go back to my post and look at my location. Then remember to multiply all $ values by 7. And I did shop around. At $1,231 for the year, these guys were the cheapest. I found one company that didn't class my Sprint as a sportbike, but they wanted $2,300/yr. That's approaching what I paid for the bike. Did I mention that since it's a "sport bike" I had to install a $250 Gorilla alarm to qualify for comprehensive coverage? Don't you just love insurance companies?:censored:

·
Registered
53 Posts
im paying 382 per year and 200 of that went to my broker. next year, no broker...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts