Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the exact dimensions of the Drag Link Pivot Bolt that holds the Center-Stand onto the Thunderbird/Legend?

See the PDF file here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/downloads/tbirdstand.pdf

What I'm referring to is part no. 7, the long bolt.

Here's why: Back in April, I purchased a set of the Ma's Cycle's engine guards from a guy who had sold his Legend but still had the engine guard in his garage. I installed the engine guard, but there are two horizontal steel straps that come back from the engine guard and connect to the Drag Link Pivot Bolt. Because these straps are about 1/4" thick each, the bolt isn't quite long enough for the nut to go on. The nut is on there, but only about 1/2 way, which obviously isn't good. I need the exact same bolt but about 1" longer.

Now, Ma's sells a "centerstand adapter kit" for about $40, and I can't think of what the "kit" includes other than the longer bolt. If I have to bite the bullet and pay $40 for a $10 bolt, I guess I will, but if the dimensions of that bolt are such that I can get one from a local source, I'd rather do that. So, I need to get the dimensions of the stock bolt.

Obviously, if I really wanted to I could pull mine apart and measure it, but since (a) it was a total PITA to do it in the first place (had to remove the left side exhaust from the header all the way back!) and (b) it's the middle of Winter and we have about 2' of snow on the ground and (c) I don't have a garage, this isn't an option, at least not right now.

So, can anyone help with the bolt dimensions? Obviously it's metric, but I'm sure I'd need to get the diameter or size of the bolt, and also the length in MM or inches.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

PS: On the other hand, if anybody has one of those longer bolts (from a parted-out bike or maybe one where the engine guard and/or c-stand was removed) and wants to sell it, I'd definitely be interested!

G

·
Hi from France!

First, this part is threaded with a metric fine pitch, not the common pitch for that diameter.

Secondly, it is not threaded on its full lenght because of the grease that must be there ( take notice of the grease nipple).

The diameter is 12 mm and the pitch 1.25 mm.
That means a 12X1.25 bolt ( metric).
Go there:
http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/
and browse to "metric fine pitch"
You can buy one only, but you'd better buy two or three at different total lenghts and lenght of thread.
Keep on your mind that only the end of the bolt must be threaded because of the job of the grease that is essential here for the work of your rear suspension.
I hope I have been helpfull to you and apologize for my approximative english.
Christopher.

G

·
Hi from France!

First, this part is threaded with a metric fine pitch, not the common pitch for that diameter.

Secondly, it is not threaded on its full lenght because of the grease that must be there ( take notice of the grease nipple).

The diameter is 12 mm and the pitch 1.25 mm.
That means a 12X1.25 bolt ( metric).
Go there:
http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/
and browse to "metric fine pitch"
You can buy one only, but you'd better buy two or three at different total lenghts and lenght of thread.
Keep on your mind that only the end of the bolt must be threaded because of the job of the grease that is essential here for the work of your rear suspension.
I hope I have been helpfull to you and apologize for my approximative english.
Christopher.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.