Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
99 Legend, Keihin carbs. Removed & cleaned as per all your help. Thanks much. Bike started and ran ok, but is slow to return to idle when throttle down. In the help thread, it was suggested 2 1/2 turns on the air mix screw. I removed my carbs again for another look and would like to try this setting, however, these carbs have a blank plug over the screws, probably to keep boobs like me from messing with them. Whats your experiance with this? Should I leave well enough alone?. I would like to at least get to this to run some cleaner and air pressure. How do I remove the blank plugs without damage?

Again, thanks so much for the help. The Haynes manual leaves a lot to be desired.

Terry D.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
The problem with return to idle rpm is very likely carb imbalance. A good idle is very sensitive to balance & it needs to be done with vacuum gauge set, centre carb is master, outers are balanced to this. The adjuster screws are very sensitive.

I believe the pilot screw plugs (kind of a thin cap) are removed by carefully drilling a hole, inserting a self-tapping screw & pulling out. We don't have them here, so haven't done the job myself. A search on this forum will turn up a lot more detail if you need it.

Mike

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The plugs are a gift from the EPA in the hopes that you won't tinker.

They are easily drilled out to expose the mix screws.

Sometimes a lean condition will cause a slow return to idle.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
As you just had the carbs off I would suspect the following in this order:

1. The throttle cable is hanging up a little - check route lube if necessary

2. you have an air leak on the engine side of the carbs - check for split rubber, loose clamps, incorrect fitting

3. Carb balance

4. contamination of carb slides (did you accidentally get some dirt in there

1 - 4 of 4 Posts