Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cager pulled straight out in front of me he looked left then just pulled out and BANG! . Front wheel knackered ,pegs gone ,new hand guards damaged ,exhaust dented
but on the up side i'm o.k bikes at the dealers and it's gonna get sorted .
Driver of the car said i had my indicator on but witness say's i did not all three of them. Drivers in deep **** and all he seemed bothered about was that he was going to be late to pick his wife up can you f**K: ing well believe that:eek: not that he had caused an accident and my bike was in bits and i could have been seriously injured what a moron

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glad your okay Bigdog, the bike will mend but He'll forever be a muppet.

Hope it was his wifes car and she gives him pelters...:D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys thanks for the replies it helps

he was driving on his wife's insurance and my sister in law his is boss pay back time HA HA HA ! ;)
That's karma for you i bet his wife's well impressed and he is being charged for failing to give way and driving with undue care i'll see him in court then. But all i want is my tiger back it could be a right off the frame needs checking :(
if its cracked that could be curtains for my tiger

·
Registered
218 Posts
Simply in to themselves

People who do not ride bikes simply DO NOT CARE!
Last month a young lady at work decided to take her Ninja 750 out for a test ride after her boyfriend had the clutch worked on. You got it? She laid it down. I said a couple of words to her. She is the soul support for 2 small children, no endorsement, no helmet or jacket and I'm pretty sure she has no insurance... It was none of my business but I follow all of the precautions and I went down Saturday. I'm sure I'll hear some s--- from her because she doesn't recognize the difference. It's ok because they simply want to and the rest of the world doesn't count. It's not right or wrong as long as that is what I choose to do?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pain

GBD,

Have you noticed now the adrenaline has worn off that your neck is aching ;)
After 57 yrs of fun I have a lot of things that ach. Your right! Mostly my left side where I landed with the bike.. Cat scan , xray, blood work... The Doc said I was just bruise up a bit. I'm home today on vicodin.... Don't let anyone tell you that a helmet and good armour is not a GREAT idea. Joe:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
cager pulled straight out in front of me he looked left then just pulled out and BANG! . Front wheel knackered ,pegs gone ,new hand guards damaged ,exhaust dented
but on the up side i'm o.k bikes at the dealers and it's gonna get sorted .
Driver of the car said i had my indicator on but witness say's i did not all three of them. Drivers in deep **** and all he seemed bothered about was that he was going to be late to pick his wife up can you f**K: ing well believe that:eek: not that he had caused an accident and my bike was in bits and i could have been seriously injured what a moron
Even worse, it's just the beginning of another summer's riding on your side of the world!

Hope you and your bike are all healed up quickly to enjoy same.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The good news is you walked away.

Bikes can be replaced, you can't. Hope there able to put the Tiger back together and that your ok.

·
Registered
704 Posts
GBD, man that sucks! Glad to hear your ok. Would be a shame to lose your blue beauty due to a cracked frame. What will you replace her with if that is the case?

Block

·
Registered
52 Posts
GBD,

Have you noticed now the adrenaline has worn off that your neck is aching ;)
:D Just glad to hear you could walk away.

Can I have the engine if you don't want it ;) seriously I hope it's OK as Caspian's no longer available unless you can find 08 stock. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Without wanting to sound like I'm preaching, or casting aspersions on anyones abilities:

A good rule of thumb for bikers, is to look into every junction and make eye contact with every driver in every junction. If you've got good eye contact with that person and they are staring at you, then that person has usually seen you, if they are looking the other way, then they may not and maybe about to pull out.

As you are looking at them, look at the front wheel of the vehicle as well. If it starts to move forward, you should have already had an escape plan made and be able to do something about it. Don't look at the vehicle as a whole as it's perspective will change the closer you get, and it may be difficult to notice that initial first movement forward. The front wheel is more easily identifiable as moving forward. Look at the front wheel. Look for the steering wheel being turned.

Identify the age of the driver - young driver (boy racer with little experience, may not see a bike). Old driver (reactions may be slow, eyesight poor).

Identify the type of vehicle, we all know what young drivers drive and old drivers drive. For those in the UK - Corsa with tinted windows and spoilers all round. Red Micra and the sweet smell of a full "Tenna Lady" ?? :D

Have an escape route planned. If you've got it in the forefront of your mind to brake, or swerve, then when you come to do it, it's not a shock, it's all under control. Change your road position further out. Use your horn as a warning.

As you approach every junction assess if it's a wide open plan junction with a good view into it, or a blind junction with walls, hedges, buildings, built right up to it. Wide open ones are so easy to deal with as you can see into them really early and make a quick decision as to how to approach. It's the restricted view junctions off to the left and right that you need to worry about. Is someone going to pull up just a bit late and pull out across the line ? That's where you need your escape plan already planned. If there's nothing coming the other way, change your road position to the centre line. That leaves you an escape route. Weigh up the risks.

As bikers, because we are so vulnerable, we've got to treat each junction as if it's going to be our last. Take control of every junction, don't allow others to dictate our destiny. Do their thinking for them.

As a bike Instructor from Basic to advanced this is just advice, take it or leave it, and certainly not preaching.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys im up and mobile

and yes i do ache today but the bikes gonna get fixed mostly superficial damage forks are fine and the frames ok dealer has put a wheel on for me and i can pick her up this afternoon the rest will be sorted by my insurance.
and yeah graeme i know your not preaching and i appreciate all the advise from every one.
but i did not stand a chance really i was almost through the junction when he pulled out i was maybe 2 yards away from the drivers door slammed on my brakes locked up brakes and then i was on the floor stupid of me to lock up but i have only had my licence for just under a year and i have learnt a valuable lesson.
so i've picked my self up dusted my self down and i'm back on the bike a.s.a.p :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Without wanting to sound like I'm preaching, or casting aspersions on anyones abilities:

A good rule of thumb for bikers, is to look into every junction and make eye contact with every driver in every junction. If you've got good eye contact with that person and they are staring at you, then that person has usually seen you, if they are looking the other way, then they may not and maybe about to pull out.

As you are looking at them, look at the front wheel of the vehicle as well. If it starts to move forward, you should have already had an escape plan made and be able to do something about it. Don't look at the vehicle as a whole as it's perspective will change the closer you get, and it may be difficult to notice that initial first movement forward. The front wheel is more easily identifiable as moving forward. Look at the front wheel. Look for the steering wheel being turned.

Identify the age of the driver - young driver (boy racer with little experience, may not see a bike). Old driver (reactions may be slow, eyesight poor).

Identify the type of vehicle, we all know what young drivers drive and old drivers drive. For those in the UK - Corsa with tinted windows and spoilers all round. Red Micra and the sweet smell of a full "Tenna Lady" ?? :D

Have an escape route planned. If you've got it in the forefront of your mind to brake, or swerve, then when you come to do it, it's not a shock, it's all under control. Change your road position further out. Use your horn as a warning.

As you approach every junction assess if it's a wide open plan junction with a good view into it, or a blind junction with walls, hedges, buildings, built right up to it. Wide open ones are so easy to deal with as you can see into them really early and make a quick decision as to how to approach. It's the restricted view junctions off to the left and right that you need to worry about. Is someone going to pull up just a bit late and pull out across the line ? That's where you need your escape plan already planned. If there's nothing coming the other way, change your road position to the centre line. That leaves you an escape route. Weigh up the risks.

As bikers, because we are so vulnerable, we've got to treat each junction as if it's going to be our last. Take control of every junction, don't allow others to dictate our destiny. Do their thinking for them.

As a bike Instructor from Basic to advanced this is just advice, take it or leave it, and certainly not preaching.
What you forgot to say,the trick is to run all that through your head in a millisecond,the standard of bike riding in the UK,is nothing short of an utter disgrace,only highlighted by unthinking car drivers,but easy to say when you've been at it for 40 years

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
but i did not stand a chance really i was almost through the junction when he pulled out i was maybe 2 yards away from the drivers door slammed on my brakes locked up brakes and then i was on the floor stupid of me to lock up but i have only had my licence for just under a year and i have learnt a valuable lesson.
I also have no wish to preach, we've all been there, but one of the things you should do over the next few days is to replay the entire episode (or as much as you can recall) in your mind and try to identify things you could have done differently to produce a better outcome.

Were there indications you missed as you approached the junction? Could you have adopted a different position within the lane? Remember Graeme's comment "don't allow others to dictate our destiny. Do their thinking for them."

so i've picked my self up dusted my self down and i'm back on the bike a.s.a.p :D
Best thing you can do in my opinion - and while you're doing it, maybe practice hard braking somewhere safe.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
And when I said your neck was aching, I meant get down to A&E and say that and get yourself in for a claim.

I think it's a couple of grand for a whip-lash claim nowadays.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey johnnybiscuits & Graeme

i live on Guernsey a smaller island i just guess i'm lucky that way;) and unfortunately we don't have that sort of law over here to see a doctor at A&E would set me back by £200 then i would have to claim of his insurance. then i would have to take a claim out on him personally and take him to petty debts, he could say i can only afford £5 a week the rule that's fiar i have to wait till i'm retired before i see any money :rolleyes:
Guernsey is very different from the mainland they have there own laws and rules wish i was back home in England someday's

·
Registered
177 Posts
i live on Guernsey a smaller island i just guess i'm lucky that way;) a
Even greater precision then!! Seriously though mate, you need to consider that everyone else on the road is trying to kill you and ride more defensively, or you're bound to crash into the other car on Guernsey too:wacko:.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts