Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a hypothetical situation:

Suppose you can blow $4,000 to $5,000 on a used motorcycle to compliment your Tbird, Legend, or Adventurer.

What motorcycle would it be?

Why?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'll go next.

I'd like to have:
1) Shaft drive
2) Medium weight
3) Fairing

I was thinking about ( in no particular order ):
1) Kawak Connie
2) BMW R100RT / R100RS Airhead
3) Something I haven't thought of yet??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another bike - don't I wish

I'd be looking for a sport touring bike. The Thunderbird Sport is just what I need in an all-around, day-to-day bike. It suits my sport bike inclination without punishing my 64 year old body. It is not, however, what I need to take some of those two-up, multi-day trips I'm ready for (hour after hour at 4500 rpm doesn't appeal to me).

The Triumph Sprint ST riding position is too much "sport" and not enough "touring" but the last generation Kawasaki Concours and the Honda ST 1100 are just about right. If $$$ weren't a consideration, the Honda ST 1300 and the Yamaha FJR would be at the top of my list.

Now, if I could just convince my wife.

·
Registered
435 Posts
something different enough to be fun to ride. A power cruiser might be good (magna, madura, mid 80's sabre would be fun).

A decent dual sport.

someone already mentioned a good sport touring - which is a great idea - different enough, useful, fun.

thing to consider is the increased maintenance, dealing with more taxes, tags each year, higher insurance. $5000 is just the beginning.... and while I don't modify bikes like some people do, if you have the urge to constantly tinker and upgrade - you'll go broke! :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mid-size tourer with shaft drive? Honda makes a 700 called the Deauville but doesn't market it in the states. I've read a lot of raves about it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
My turn

It would have to be a Tiger! I want one of these when I retire - miles and miles of comfortable smiles, blacktop or dirt, and best of all, it's another Triumph. I look at the adventure riders postings all the time, and living on the back of a bike for a few months sounds just right to me. I know the BMWs are the hot ticket in adventure sports, but now that I've joined the Triumph cult, I intend to stay. Besides, there is that triple engine to consider...The only other choice might be a Ural with a shaft driven sidecar, to be driven year round in upstate NY, snow and all. Also would give my Labrador a place to ride.:)

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Either a 600 cc track bike, or a mid weight dual sport bike. Maybe both for the right deal!

T-Bird works great for touring. Not so good for fast runs on the track, or on the forest service roads and trails.

Had a sport tourer - got rid of it. Not that much better at anything than the Bird.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
i've had 2 ('84 and '85) V65 magnas over the years. More than plenty for long trips and much comfier in that department, but not so "cruiser" as most which keeps everything much more aggressive feeling. Love those bikes... very different from teh bird but a classic all the same. Could be just what you want.

·
Registered
411 Posts
l already have a '68 t100 and a Honda Transalp. So l have no room for any more in my lockups but if l did , l would buy back my '99 ST 955i in red, the perfect tourer, never let me done, went all over Europe and cruised at 100+, 200 miles to the tank full, perfect!.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Deauville is a sharp looking bike. It's like a mini ST1300.

I like the V65 as well. I think it needs a sharper rake on it though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm looking at supermoto for my second bike. The Legend is a great all around street bike after mods (handlebars, rearsets, power, sprocket ratio) but I want a lighter bike to throw into curves and slide sideways with on various surfaces. This summer a new SeaDoo is kind of like my second bike.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I concur. The Legend and classic trips are like UJMS with soul.

I just wish I could get something with a shaft, hard bags, and a standard riding position.

I've been leaning towards the BMW airheads from the very late 80's.

The newer BMWs look like alien spaceships.

The R100RS and R100RT are rather attractive.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Lots of folks like the Kawa Concours, and it fits your description pretty well. Although I'm craving a Tiger someday, I do think the european Honda Trans Alp and Africa look interesting, but probably too difficult to maintain in the states with parts, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
It seems to me that folks choose these bikes for many different reasons... just look at the responses - they are all over the map.

The T3 Classic is a great all around bike with a retro look. That appeals to many different folks, with very different tastes in riding. Some of us lean towards cruising, other towards sport riding, others touring, and others off-roading.

Our T3s do a decent job with multiples of those (maybe not so hot for a dual sport!), so it seems that the second bike choices are more aligned with our more specfic passion in motorcycling?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I concur. The Legend and classic trips are like UJMS with soul.

I just wish I could get something with a shaft, hard bags, and a standard riding position.

I've been leaning towards the BMW airheads from the very late 80's.

The newer BMWs look like alien spaceships.

The R100RS and R100RT are rather attractive.
Take a look at the Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. It fits your description. I just bought one and am very happy so far.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Take a look at the Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. It fits your description. I just bought one and am very happy so far.
Pegs look a little far forward for a standard, though I'd admit they are a little more modest than some cruisers these days!!! Never been a big fan of forward pegs myself - puts all the weight on the bum, dimishing some control that can be derived through the pegs....

There really isn't much out there produced these days with shaft, hard bags, and a standard riding position. Some dual sport Beemers maybe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts