Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the owner of an 06 S3 and I've had trouble starting it in the cold since last year. Sometimes it would start after the starter turned for 4-5 seconds, but sometimes, after those seconds, it wouldn't turn at all. I got a battery tender and after charging it for a while it would start right up, so I got a new battery.

Now this one is doing the same thing in the cold. Do I just have another bad battery (I got it off eBay. Maybe a mistake)? I've read some of the posts and it sounds like that's my problem, but it almost seems as though something is sucking the power out of my battery if I leave it sitting for a few days. Just today, it wouldn't start, I charged it for an hour cuz I was in a rush, rode it for 45 minutes, let it sit for 4 hours, and it died on me again. What's the deal?

New battery needed? Do I just hook it up every night to a tender? Sucks since I don't have a garage. I'd have to disconnect it every night. Ugh.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check out this thread:
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/97624-speedy-won-t-start.html

I've got a post in there that links to some others too... have a read and see what you think - unfortunately I never got my issue resolved. I know the service guys made some attempts to fix it but the weather warmed up and it all just went away... I hate to think what I'll face next winter, after my warranty is out... might take it up with Triumph and see what they say...

Aaaanyway, good luck to you. Hope you find what's going on with yours!

Cheers,
Herb

·
Registered
361 Posts
well, i guess it could be many things.

maybe youre charging it wrong, effectively destroying your new batteries.

idk, I find that my bike dont start for **** if the temps are below 40deg fahrenheit...unless I have my battery on a tender one night every couple days or so.

do yourself a favor and purchase a $10 multimeter and test your battery's voltage. I find that I need a sitting battery voltage of around 12.8 volts for sure fire starting.
If mine gets below 12 volts, it only cranks twice or three times before resetting...big time pain in the ass.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get the multimeter and see what my battery is doing.

I guess I should just start accepting the fact that below 40 degrees, it's going to be a pain to start...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts