Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Land,

Glad you figured it out, I was starting to think I was dreaming! My stand was a triumph one thou.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Assuming you got the correct stand for your bike: Is it a simple bolt-on job? Or do you have to remove bits first to make it fit? Mine's a standard 1997 Thunderbird.

Sent fra min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Assuming you got the correct stand for your bike: Is it a simple bolt-on job? Or do you have to remove bits first to make it fit? Mine's a standard 1997 Thunderbird.

Sent fra min SM-G935F via Tapatalk
Just bolt on, the only thing that really involved anything was taking off the right side (2 to1 ) exhaust just so I could remove the main (long ) bolt and that really wasn't anything at all ( new exhaust gaskets are included in kit ).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just received a reply from Sprint,

"Hi Gary.
There is no easy way of putting this, but I have sent you the wrong stand kit. The kit you have is for a Thunderbird Sport, not a Thunderbird. We will arrange today to have a new kit sent and work out how we can get your stand back.
I am very very sorry.
Regards,"

So a bit more work for me, at least there will be no issues with the exhaust this time and at least Sprint have admitted their mistake and are rectifying it.
Well it now turns out that Sprint did send the correct stand (Adventurer), Sprint think my suspension may have been altered. They are now going to send a Legend stand (last one they have) because it is shorter than the Adventure/ Thunderbird and I must say I can't praise Trev at Sprint Eng enough, quick to reply and very helpful, he even emailed me at 10.30pm last night to let me know they are sending the Legend stand.
Thanks to Landlocked too.(y)
So I am trying to find out what has been altered on my bike, when on the centre stand I have 70mm gap under the rear tyre! Which is far to much and shows why I cant lift the bike unto the stand!
The firstly prime suspect is changed rear shock or changed drag links. I cannot find any markings on the shock but with the weight off the back wheel the length centre to centre is 338mm, is this correct?
A pic of the drag links,

Anyone know if these are correct?

And a pic top of shock.

Looks Standard to me? no adjustment to spring or dampening.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Looks Standard to me? no adjustment to spring or dampening.
Actually, looks like your spring preload may be maxed out. This would make the bike sit higher in the back, though, not lower, so I don't think that is contributing to your problem, assuming it is the correct shock and spring.

My notes say 340mm is the correct length for all except the TBS.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
OK
So I went and cut off the excess part of the pads that were protruding forward of the stand tubes ( see pic ) I can now set my bike on the center stand by myself without the aid of plywood or my son!

Before

After

·
Registered
65 Posts
Actually, looks like your spring preload may be maxed out. This would make the bike sit higher in the back, though, not lower, so I don't think that is contributing to your problem, assuming it is the correct shock and spring.

My notes say 340mm is the correct length for all except the TBS.
Are you saying you think this is an aftermarket shock because there is adjustable preload?(I understood there was no adjustment to the original) I have never seen a pic of an original shock so thought the threaded top section was to enable fitting of the spring! :confused:
338mm was measured with the shock on the bike (not too easy) so it is close enough to the 340mm on your notes.
I will take a few more point measurements today because I would like to understand what's going on.
I appreciate al the comments and feedback.
Landlocked-- what gap do you have under your rear tyre when the bike is on the stand? ( I was thinking about slicing the bottom legs off my stand!)

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
As far as I know they all have a preload adjustment.

[edit] Adventurer and Legend both use the same shock and it has a preload adjustment.
You want to adjust it so that when you sit on the bike the shock is compressed about 30% of its available travel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gassa, have have about 29mm space under the tire.
Which is what I would expect, not the 70mm I got!

As far as I know they all have a preload adjustment.

[edit] Adventurer and Legend both use the same shock and it has a preload adjustment.
You want to adjust it so that when you sit on the bike the shock is compressed about 30% of its available travel.
Got the shock off and apart, its a Kayaba which I think is the standard fitted, it is 340mm long, spring length is 180mm, but the preload is non existant, with the spring of that length you have to wind the "nuts" nearly all the way down the thread to firm the spring against the cups, so about 7mm-10mm preload adj. The shock easily can take a spring of 220mm long, so how long is a standard spring?

I do agree with your notes of 340mm long so I do not understand why it sits lower than others, (it is not the short spring because I lifted the bike first and it did not settle down)

Answers on a postcard to...........................................................! 😢

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I have a Legend shock sitting out in the barn. If the temp gets over 10F today I'll go out and look at it. I think it's a Showa...

What is the free length of the spring? If you also have the wire diameter, coil diameter, and number of coils you can calculate the approximate spring rate.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Of course, none of this adresses your problem. If the wheel is 70mm off the ground on the stand and the shock is fully extended, the spring has nothing to do with it. Since the shock extends to the proper length, either some of your links are not stock, or the stand is too long.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Of course, none of this adresses your problem. If the wheel is 70mm off the ground on the stand and the shock is fully extended, the spring has nothing to do with it. Since the shock extends to the proper length, either some of your links are not stock, or the stand is too long.
Landlocked and I have measured both stands and they are the same length, you confirmed shock length of 340mm, Landlocked confirmed the drag links which are numbered are the same as his.:confused::confused:

The Legend stand has now arrived and it is 15mm shorter than the "other one", fitting it this weekend,:whistle:

·
Registered
65 Posts
New Legend stand fitted and it works ok, I will copy Landlocked and "adjust" the cam action to make it easier to lift, 20mm under the tyre.

I knew my Triumph was special but I didn't realise how "special" it was.;)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts