Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went and bought a center stand.
Its gonna be weird seeing her stand straight instead of leaning waaay over

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I’m curious how you’ll like it. Not something I’ve ever thought of getting, but I see a lot of people adding them. I suppose it makes the bike easier to work on
Be sure to show a pic installed

·
Registered
90 Posts
Land,

I put one on my 98 T-bird and you can't beat it. Off course all bikes had them back in the day, so I guess they did it to save money. Any maintenance is easier and you don't need anything to jack up bike!

Dan

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is the best accessorie that I’ve ever bought for my TBS. It helps a lot when I need to work on front/rear suspension, chain, brakes or anything else in a bike. I’m able to put bike above the ground without special front/rear stands. It is great when you are leaving bike for the winter season. Fuel in carb bowls stays in level, tires not stays in one position, and what’s very important bike takes less space and it’s harder to take it from that stand, than from kickstand and when it’s folded it’s not that ugly.
I can truly recommend that part for every Triumph user.
Anyhow I know that for TBS with exhaust on both sides that option is theoretically not possible because of cross pipe.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I installed one on my Legend, but it would sometimes scrape in the LH turns, so I took it off and sold it. The one on my Tiger doesn't scrape, and it makes life so easy for chain adjusting, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have just ordered one for my Adventurer, I hope its not going to scape in the turns! I will be bitterly disappointed if it does, I have found it more and more difficult to get it safely on the paddock stand so bit the bullet and shelled out £200.00+ for it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I put the one from Sprint Mfg on my 98 TBS (both pipes-one side). Love it. Depending on your rear tire choice, it can be a bit of a pain to lever it up onto the stand, so I carry a small piece of 1/2" wood, back over that, then lift it up. MUCH easier.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just put mine on today and can't get it up on the center stand to save my life/ Everything is stock with the exception of the YSS shock I just installed to which I'm going to adjust it out a little longer to see if that little bit helps!?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just put mine on today and can't get it up on the center stand to save my life/ Everything is stock with the exception of the YSS shock I just installed to which I'm going to adjust it out a little longer to see if that little bit helps!?
Land,

Pulling up and stepping on the stand can be a little of a trick. You might try rolling rear tire on one inch board and try again. I imagine you will get the hang of it.

ride safe

Dan

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Land,

Pulling up and stepping on the stand can be a little of a trick. You might try rolling rear tire on one inch board and try again. I imagine you will get the hang of it.

ride safe

Dan
No its more than that, I've had center stands before and there is something not right with this, even my 22yr old son can't get it on the stand.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same problem as well, I had to put a 60mm block under the back wheel to lift it onto the stand, its as if the stand legs are too long.
My bike has stock suspension and stock wheels and I think stock tyres (150/80/16 & 100/90/19) I wonder if its anything to do with being an Adventurer not a Thunderbird? even though the web site does say for the Adventurer as well.
I am emailing Sprint later for a solution.

·
Registered
312 Posts
As I intimated above, a meager 1/2" can make all the difference. Back the bike over something that size or slightly thicker, which will raise the rear and save your back.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the same problem as well, I had to put a 60mm block under the back wheel to lift it onto the stand, its as if the stand legs are too long.
My bike has stock suspension and stock wheels and I think stock tyres (150/80/16 & 100/90/19) I wonder if its anything to do with being an Adventurer not a Thunderbird? even though the web site does say for the Adventurer as well.
I am emailing Sprint later for a solution.
I will also email Sprint, I did not spend over $300.00 to have to carry a piece of wood around to set my bike on its stand

·
Registered
65 Posts
As I intimated above, a meager 1/2" can make all the difference. Back the bike over something that size or slightly thicker, which will raise the rear and save your back.
I have tried 1/2inch and it is not possible to lift the bike, the min "block of wood" has to be 2" to get the bike on th stand, I also have an 1100 Yam with a centre stand and that's a doddle!
I agree with Landlocked, I didn't spend £220.00 to carry wood with me!!

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK
I went out and put a piece of 1/4" plywood under the rear tire, I can now lift the bike onto the stand. here are my thoughts/observation on what I think is wrong with the center stand. first of let me state that I have two center stands, Sprint accidentally shipped me a stand for the TBS which looks exactly like the Adventurer stand only its 3/4" ( 19mm ) taller ( Gassa you might need to confirm you have the right stand ). I was looking at the TBS stand and the Adventurer stand and noticed a difference with how they welded on the pads., the pads on the Adventurer are not angled as well as the TBS stand ( see pic's ) which give it less of a camming action to roll this bike up on the stand.

Pads on the TBS, notice how the angled pad is cut into the tube

Adventurer pad protrudes further forward of the pad and not as angled

Notice how the tip of the pads on my Adventurer hit the surface which to me adds extra length to the stand

I'm thinking if I trim down the front of the pads then I won't need a piece of plywood to lift my bike, of course it pisses me off that I need to modify a "Made to fit" $300.00 stand.

·
Registered
68 Posts
They are not replacing the stand for free? I mean, THEY sent you the wrong stand. I've bought a lot of stuff from them, if this is the case, I will personally never buy from them again, that all we can do as customers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also received stand for another motorcycle and Sprint Manufacturing replaced it for free. So please contact them, it will definitely be solved.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just received a reply from Sprint,

"Hi Gary.
There is no easy way of putting this, but I have sent you the wrong stand kit. The kit you have is for a Thunderbird Sport, not a Thunderbird. We will arrange today to have a new kit sent and work out how we can get your stand back.
I am very very sorry.
Regards,"

So a bit more work for me, at least there will be no issues with the exhaust this time and at least Sprint have admitted their mistake and are rectifying it.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sprint had my correct replacement stand delivered to me in less than a week., Its just a shame I have to modify it to get it to work correctly.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are not replacing the stand for free? I mean, THEY sent you the wrong stand. I've bought a lot of stuff from them, if this is the case, I will personally never buy from them again, that all we can do as customers.
Freddas if that question is for me?, then Yes Sprint did send me the correct one already thats why I was able to compare the "Two" stands in the pictures

1 - 20 of 40 Posts