Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the archives looking for my answer and found some info. A dealer near me has a 2001 t595 Red old body style. Now they told me that the guy changed plastics that was why it was the old body style. After about 5 minutes of research i discovered both body styles were available that year as well as two different crank horse power ratings CORRECT ?
My question is when i found some specs on the 01 Red was not a color available that model year. Is this correct? I am a bit leary and disappointed in the dealer. I have heard a different story about the bike once over the phone ,and twice visiting the dealership. They werent that knowledgeable imo . Not to mention having a look at the bike was so trouble some for the sales guys. Sheesh!! Forget about hearing it run. Any idea of where to check out vin numbers and verify the bike is what its suppose to be?

·
Registered
311 Posts
pass it up. there are probably better deals out there.
97-98 its was a T595.
99-2001 changed to a 955i. Same bodywork, but i think some of the mounts are different. Not sure if it had more power. They revised cams etc and the wheelbase was a little shorter.
Im not sure if I am 100% correct, but Im sure someone else will chime in.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
PR, Indeed there are two Daytona models for '01. The 'new style' '01 is actually the upcoming '02 model, rushed into production due to a fire at Hinkley.

Look on the left side for an external alternator, easily seen with the side fairing in place. This will mark a '97-'01 engine. Another clue is an analog cable driven speed-o-meter. The plastics between the '02> are not easily swapped with the earlier D955is. Swapping fuel tanks would require welding. AFIK plastics interchange from '97-'01.

The '01s are reputed to be the best of the T595 body style.

Brad

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
Prelim: don't get confused when looking at my bike! :p
It has early plastics but a late motor. So don't use that as a reference! :D

Early '02 model will have a dual swing-arm and digital gauges which should be instant giveaways. :D
(OK - exception would be the limited edition Centennial 02's had single swing-arm but no-one with any imaginable cause would install pre-02 body on a Centennial)

The big changes came with the 2002 model year.
Normally the body would be first identifier, but that seems to be 'questionable' in this instance.
Recognizable on the motor are the stator style generator vs the separate alternator of the earlier model;
the themostat & temp sensor are integrated in the left side of motor as opposed to remote assembly under the front section of the tank
Electronic instruments vs the tri-analog gauges
5 bolt rotors
Dual swing arm (except for the centennial - all 03+ were SSSA)
Starter covers are completely different (one piece on early motor right side)
Pedal assemblies - late has shifter pedal directly on the change shaft; early has a linkage rod and pedal on the rearset assembly
Header assembly much larger dia mid-pipe - 54mm on the late model

Does it say T595 on the tail? Those are indeed 97/98 plastics
The model designation (on the type label) remained T595 I believe however, even in 99 when the graphics said 955i.

So why would anyone install T595 graphic plastics on an '01 bike let alone a late-model 02+?
Wrecked is the most likely answer.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So why would anyone install T595 graphic plastics on an '01 bike let alone a late-model 02+?
Wrecked is the most likely answer.
Yes it does say T595 on the tail and I did ask the question about being wrecked, the answer was no but i could check it out if i wanted to at my expense. Helpful weren't they? I did see a picture of a old body style 01 with graphics when i googled it . But i intend to take the information such as the alternator etc and have a more in depth look and try and figure this bike out. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
... I did see a picture of a old body style 01 with graphics when i googled it . ...
The '01 plastics and 97/98 plastics are identical other than the decals.

Here's an '02 (DSSA) model - note that even with fairings on you can see the difference in the clutch cover - the late model has three studs inboard of the outline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts