Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This annual event takes place this coming Sunday. IMOC, the Italian Motorcycle Owners Club, started this event in the early Eighties and it has since grown huge. I attended last year after a 20 year absence; 20,000 bikes & 40,000 people.

The massed ride was very difficult & dangerous with lots of debris in the road- presents, clothing, bits of bike that had fallen off along the way. Then we had to do about 3 km through the suburbs which took about 20 minutes because of the traffic jam. My bike started to overheat, as did I, and when I eventually got to the destination my nerves were shot. I handed over my present, found an exit and rode home. I utterly disliked every second of it & vowed I'd never attend another toy run because it is so dangerous & unpleasant.

I knew I'd turned in to a crotchety BOF, but I didn't realise it had got that bad :eek:.

Today I made a donation to the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund and I'm not attending Sunday's run.

DaveB.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I support the notion, the wole purose. But not being the bravest of people I took my choice. I just hoping I'm supporting somebody along the way.

DaveB.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
You made a wise decision. This is the last year for me to ride in these big groups. I normally give a donation at the start off meeting place. Saturdays run once lunch was over which comes with the donation, my son and I went back home and did not go on the ride to the court house. My change of mind set came even before we got there. We met at a local bike shop, and once the group finally got together, we left and had not gotten 4 blocks away when we came to an intersection and the light turned yellow. Half the group went through the yellow and the rest of us stopped. One rider stopped passed the white line and was going to roll his bike back with the rest of us, when this idiot flew by us and knocked this poor fellow and his bike over. Banged up a little, got his bike up and rolled it into the side street. I looked at my son and said no more group riding for me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This annual event takes place this coming Sunday. IMOC, the Italian Motorcycle Owners Club, started this event in the early Eighties and it has since grown huge. I attended last year after a 20 year absence; 20,000 bikes & 40,000 people.

The massed ride was very difficult & dangerous with lots of debris in the road- presents, clothing, bits of bike that had fallen off along the way. Then we had to do about 3 km through the suburbs which took about 20 minutes because of the traffic jam. My bike started to overheat, as did I, and when I eventually got to the destination my nerves were shot. I handed over my present, found an exit and rode home. I utterly disliked every second of it & vowed I'd never attend another toy run because it is so dangerous & unpleasant.

I knew I'd turned in to a crotchety BOF, but I didn't realise it had got that bad :eek:.

Today I made a donation to the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund and I'm not attending Sunday's run.

DaveB.
DaveB

You are really showing your age .I think you need a long break so you can start fresh in 2009

Very grumpy fellow at the moment .

By the way the Street Trp is waiting for you

Regards

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts