Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed in several other threads that many people seem surprised when someone is able to have a months annual leave(vacation)
so what do you in your part of the world get ?
i receive 5 weeks annual leave /year + at 10 years 3 months (90 days. 9 days/year after 10 years ) long service leave(both accumulative) approximately 10 public holidays/year also 15 days (non accumulative) sick leave/year.
i work for a large(profitable) international airline.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I work at national laboratory.
As a freelancer most of my (longish) life, as was my wife has done, I really appreciate the security of the job / process. That meaning insurance, benefits and the like. I work hard and I'm good at what I do but I can't forget the "hanging it out there".
Vacation? It used to be lack of work... Until she said "We are going to Italy, in "two weeks". Oh my God!! She has the best perspective.
When we married, so many years ago, she loved the Harley XR 1000 race bike.
Oh, her dad raced airplanes around in Reno.
Should have kept the bike.....

We do get good time to use for medical and "just" time off. Our (yours and mine) tax dollars work.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
My employer closes between Christmas and New Years, and we get that week off. Beyond that, it's two weeks. Don't spend it all in one place. That was one of the biggest shocks in coming back from Europe. When I worked over there, it was 6 weeks. That totally blew my mind. And it there was no stigma to actually taking all that vacation, either.

I am on a 9/80 schedule, which means every other weekend is a three day weekend. That helps a lot.

·
29,948 Posts
Well, my experience in the USA is 2 weeks vacation are what you start with, and you gain entitlement to more the longer you are with a company. I currently get 3 weeks a year, plus 10 public holidays (bank holidays, christmas day and so on). We don't officially get sick leave, but since I run manufacturing in my company, and I work my employees damned hard, they get sick leave because I don't report it. They know better than to abuse that priveledge.

Other US companies behave differently.

Engineering salaries are significantly higher in the US than the UK, which is kind of the offset.

I miss my 5 weeks of vacation, but it seems to work out somehow. We have a very good team at my place, so because we work hard and actually get results, people are able to get a short day here and there, and not eat their vacation up on trivia. A lot of companies don't work that way though.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
I used to get 6 weeks annual leave plus all the statutory days which came to about 8 weeks. The catch was I could never take it and one time sold 32 weeks back to the company. I should point out I was an expat working in Asia, 4 weeks is the usual leave period in NZ.

Now like Haggis I work for myself, all the days are the same to me, Monday thru to Sunday, but I'm able to scive off when I feel like it. As we're in the southern hemisphere summer and light warm nights until 2100 I can catch up in the evenings, which is sometimes cooler and preferred.

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week in the Spring, 2 weeks in the Summer, 15 days sick leave, 6 personal days. I seldom use up the summer days. I work 50 hour weeks, sometimes more - never less. Won't complain...at all.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
4 weeks annual leave
around 10 public holidays per annum
6 flex days in 12 weeks (but have to work the hours up first)
2 weeks long service leave per annum after 10 yrs

I'm taking all my annual leave, 80% of my flexis and saving the long service, (only have 6wks as I got it paid out a few yrs ago), for my mid-50's when I'm going to take 1 flex and 1 long service day a fortnight each, to get a 4 day week until early retirement at 57. This should give me enough time for bike riding :D

Russ

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's always been my goal to take at least as much vacation as the French, though it can be hard to do so in the US.

We start off with two time share weeks -- one for skiing, one for early summer riding, golf and restaurants. Then at least one week for the family in California. Plus Thanksgiving week, this year on the other coast with daughter & crew. Two weeks for dental "missionarying" on Indian reservations or in the "field", maybe some continuing ed weeks or a dental meeting held in a major city or destination resort. Toss in a few long weekends for seeing the grandchild or motorcycle rallies and I just about achieve my goal...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Nominally 25 days, but my employer has a 'salary sacrifice' scheme by which you can 'buy' extra days holiday for a pro-rata pay reduction. I usually 'sell' five days back to them for a small increase in pay. Shift working brings 'lieu' days off for working weekends or bank holiday days worked.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Private industry. 4 weeks annual leave plus 10 to 11 public holidays = 6 weeks total per annum.

I've no complaints.

DaveB.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
My wife and I used to work flat out for 5 years or so (with holidays thrown in here and there) and then take a year off travelling the globe.

Just start in one direction and keep going. Great destresser and it makes you appreciate the life that you have at home.. :)

# world trips and many miles under the belt. Some great memories to boot.. :D

Now I have to settle for 4 weeks off until the kids get a little older!! :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts