Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Classic with 14k miles on the clock. At around 1,500 to 2,000 revs but only when accelerating (and about to change gear), I hear a nasty loud rattling noise from the front and I feel some slight vibration in the handlebars. Sounds like it's coming from the radiator but I'm not 100% sure. Once I'm in fifth and on the open road, there is no noise or vibration. Doesn't happen when decelerating either. Should I "seal" the radiator cover with rubber shims or is this not advisable/unsafe?

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
I am interested in the responses here. I am also experiencing a high frequency vibration between 1,500 and 2,000 RPMs. Usually during acceleration as well, although I think I experience it during some deceleration. I have though it comes from the forks somewhere, and sounds like a loose clip or something. I mentioned this to my mechanic, and he claims it is my key chain. But I get it when I have only the key in the ignition. It is definitely the motorcycle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sean,
Thanks for your reply. I tried wedging bolts and strips of rubber between the radiator and the shroud but this doesn't work. I had airhorns and daylight driving lights fitted a few weeks ago and I suspect the tank connection to the bike was not fastened properly. I do not have the tool to verify this so will have to check this out tomorrow and will let u know.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
As an update to my vibration, I discovered this past weekend I can make the vibration stop by putting my right foot on the radiator. At least this gives me an area to focus on. I think I need to do a toque check in the front of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up taking the bike to my Triumph dealer. They tightened every bolt they could without taking anything apart and the noise has diminished a bit but not much. I was a bit pushed for time so I didn't leave the bike with them overnight. Will have to drop it in again in the next week or two for a more thorough checkup.

At this stage, the feeling among the Triumph techies was that it could be the radiator (which they would dismantle and then reinstall) or the shaft drive or something loose under the tank. We shall see.

Will try your trick of placing my foot on the radiator as soon as it stops raining...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cannot replicate your experience. I placed my boot firmly on the radiator when shifting from second to third and third to fourth but the rattle/vibration is still there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing I've noticed is that the rattle only occurs when riding straight ahead. If I am on any kind of curve in the road and accelerating, there is no noise or vibration.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When my Touring was new, all kinds of bolts tended to rattle loose. I did several rounds of going around it and testing bolts and anything loose got blue loctited into place. Even the rear shock bolts had worked themselves halfway out when I caught them, that was a bit disconcerting.

I'd just start taking stuff off until you find what's loose. The radiator shrouds, etc.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Update: Last night I removed the radiator shrouds and found one of the radiator mount bolts loose. Also, several of the shroud allen bolts were loose. And I did find one exhaust heat shield allen bolt loose. I did not have Loctite on hand, will buy some soon, and will revisit this little exercise again in a few months.

I will get to ride tomorrow and can let you all know if my vibration and rattle went away.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Glad you found the issue.

A dab of blue loctite on everything you find loose will add up until you get to the point where you're reasonably sure everything's going to stay on. Personally I put blue on everything I take off nowadays, just to be sure. The Rocket doesn't vibrate that bad... I can't imagine how bad it would be on something like a Harley.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Glad you found the issue.
Actually, the issue came back. I redid the bolts and it didn't fix anything the second time. The vibration was actually getting worse.

Fast forward a few weeks and I developed a leak (more like a seep) at the valve cover gasket. The gasket had literally popped out in two spots. It was corrected under warranty (new gasket despite the old one still looking brand new, and a thorough cleaning and torqueing of everything under there). And wouldn't you know it, every vibration, rattle, and noise that bothered me completely disappeared! Apparently, the vibration was the valve cover getting loose. THIS needs to be on the torque check list!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts