Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am selling my 05 BB. First time selling a bike. I posted an ad on craigslist. For some reason this guy got me worked up. Anyone else ever deal with idiots like this guy? Am I the one being an idiot?

The ad
For sale is my 05 Triumph Bonneville Black. Has 3100 miles. Runs like new. Always garaged or covered. Bought it used in 07 with 600 miles on it. It was originally bought as a leftover in 06. No modifications at all, and there never were. Never dropped. This is the last year they were actually built in Britain.

I don't need to list all the specs here, because if you are looking at this ad, you were probably looking for this bike specifically. If not feel free to email me and I can give you the run down on this awesome motorcycle.

Price is firm, cash only. Have the title ready to go. I am in no rush to sell.
his first contact
I'm looking for a bonneville or bonneville black, so naturally I am interested in your ad. However, you're asking $4800. This seems unreasonable, since the kelly blue book trade in value for a 2005 bonneville black in good condition is $3520. In fact, the retail value from a dealer (with a certified guarantee and warranty) is $5000. I assume that you cannot offer me a warranty or the same that the dealer can. Therefore I find your price unreasonably steep.
I am willing to pay more than the trade in value, but not close to the dealer price (or I would just buy from the dealer). If you are willing to reconsider your price, I would definately like to come take a look at your bike.
annoyed.
I replied...
Ha. Show me a dealer, anywhere, with a similar machine for 5k then we'll talk. Nice try and good luck.
he comes back...
A simple search on cycletrader.com gives you a plethora of instances within 400 miles of Boston.
kind of smug, but I've gotten plenty of interest, so I ignore him.
He contacts me a few days later with...
Hi again,
I want to be clear. I am not suggesting paying 3520 for your bike. I am offering 4000!
Now I am really annoyed.
I tried to ignore you but only because I am twice as stubborn as you are I am replying.

I find your tactics annoying at best. Did you not see 4800 firm in my ad? Even if it was obo, do you really think I'd accept a close to 20% discounted offer? You haven't even seen the motorcycle yet. I initially thought you were a scam but its become apparent you are really that much of a sociopath.

You made a claim, the onus is on you to prove the claim, and proof isn't a link to cycle trader. And using KBB as leverage? This isn't amateur hour.
For ****s and giggles I checked out cycletrader.com, doing a search for all bonnevilles in all areas.

There is one 05 Bonneville Black in Chicago for 6k with no mileage listed.
All other BB's are 09 dealer deals (complete with efi, made in Thailand, and ugly mags).
So even your proof proved me right, are you that thick?

The fact of the matter is these are rare motorcycles generally, they are doubly rare for New England. There is a premium for the BB that I even paid myself. There is no market for these motorcycles, I am the market, you don't like my firm price, please move along. I think for the condition and mileage, 4800 is a good deal.
Like i said, first timer. I'd like to here your stories of annoying buyers to let me know I'm not the only one that attracts idiots.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Statistically speaking...

50% of all people are below average.
With that in mind, you may wish to remind him they aren't making any more '05 Bonnevilles and that sometimes an older bottle of wine is more expensive.
You then may wish to offer him a "special deal" of "only" $5,000 and keep raising the price until he gets the hint.
I admire your patience.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Price seems reasonable to me.

I bought my 06 Bonnie with 3000 miles in July of 08 for $5600. The owner was a friend of mine and I had helped him unload it from the truck when he brought it home brand new. He had kept it in immaculate condition and had added the center stand, Chrome Front Fender, Grab Rail, tach, TOR's, and AI removal. I thought that I got a good deal and I think that your price is in line as well. I think that the condition and mileage actually have as much if not more to do with the price than the year. Also, if someone thinks your price is too high then why respond to the add, especially multiple times. :rolleyes: The value of an item is defined as the amount that someone else is willing to pay for it. If it is over priced then you won't sell it. If it sells it was not over priced. Basic economics.

Pops

·
Registered
387 Posts
So I am selling my 05 BB. First time selling a bike. I posted an ad on craigslist. For some reason this guy got me worked up. Anyone else ever deal with idiots like this guy? Am I the one being an idiot?

You asked so here is my two cents worth. First of all, nobody is being an idiot here. I would take a different approach when selling something. First of all I would get rid of the emotion. This is strictly a business deal. If I had received the original offer (which simply asked if you would reconsider your price) I would have simply responded... very politely: "At this point, no. As I said I am in no hurry to sell and I plan to stand firm. Why not come and take a look at the bike anyway and see what you think?"

I don't normally negotiate price until after the buyer has had a chance to at least look at the product. After the excitement of seeing the bike in person, the buyer might be willing to pony up more cash...or you might be willing to shave a bit off, or throw in a helmet or something. (Everyone likes to think they are getting a deal, especially in this economy.) Getting into an email pissing match, and getting a potential buyer's back up is not going to accomplish your one goal, and that is selling the bike for the highest amount the market will bear.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You asked so here is my two cents worth. First of all, nobody is being an idiot here. I would take a different approach when selling something. First of all I would get rid of the emotion. This is strictly a business deal. If I had received the original offer (which simply asked if you would reconsider your price) I would have simply responded... very politely: "At this point, no. As I said I am in no hurry to sell and I plan to stand firm. Why not come and take a look at the bike anyway and see what you think?"

I don't normally negotiate price until after the buyer has had a chance to at least look at the product. After the excitement of seeing the bike in person, the buyer might be willing to pony up more cash...or you might be willing to shave a bit off, or throw in a helmet or something. (Everyone likes to think they are getting a deal, especially in this economy.) Getting into an email pissing match, and getting a potential buyer's back up is not going to accomplish your one goal, and that is selling the bike for the highest amount the market will bear.
BINGO!

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Yep, your response should be short and to the point: No thanks.

Any more than that, and you're placing yourself at his level, and he does seem to be a goof, or at least naive and inexperienced.

PS The "rarity" of the bike is offset by the lack of demand for it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would have written back a polite response "Thanks for your comments. Obviously this is not the bike for you"

Listen carefully for the sound of his head popping.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Those types of emotions won't work well for you in selling that bike...especially when he hasn't seen it. You had someone showing interest, no matter that he was being dense...you're trying to sell a bike, not make friends.
I would have gotten him to see the bike in person, start it up for him, let him sit on the bike and rev it a couple of times...and then start negotiating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tend to agree with you and disagree with many of the other posts. I've been lurking on the site for a while, but just purchased my bonneville two weeks ago. First off, its tough to deal with people on Craigslist, because many of them are idiots just looking for an unreasonable deal. I'm a guitar collector, and have sold one on there, having listed about 10 or so. Most emails are just annoying at best. I can imagine the same would hold true for bike buyers. Lowballers, time wasters, and scammers.

No need getting this guy to your house and on your bike to rev it up. My guess is he probably wouldnt show up anyway, and if he did he would be expecting to pay a big lowball price since you let him there in the first place.

Just my two cents....which seem to differ from everyone else. When I have sold bikes in the past, I used and recommend listing them on cycletrader or in the local classifieds. I know craigslist is free, but trust me, you have FEWER time wasters with the more traditional outlets.

Good luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I see your point, but if I'm a buyer I offer a price...the seller can either take it or come back with a counter offer...Ive owned so many cars and bikes for the past 40 years and have NEVER paid the asking price, regardless of whether price wasnt negotiable...I've got some ridiculous bargains this way too by actually having the cash, being pleasant, making my offer and both parties have always been happy...at least it was just an email that took you 5 seconds to answer, not someone physically wasting your time looking at it, taking it for a test ride then offering you a silly price...

·
Registered
387 Posts
When I have sold bikes in the past, I used and recommend listing them on cycletrader or in the local classifieds. I know craigslist is free, but trust me, you have FEWER time wasters with the more traditional outlets.

Good luck!
Ineresting perspective. Having not used Craigslist I didn't know that it generated more tire kickers. But that makes sense. I would still take the polite and unemotional approach... but be very selective. Thanks.

...at least it was just an email that took you 5 seconds to answer, not someone physically wasting your time looking at it, taking it for a test ride then offering you a silly price...
I would never let anyone test ride a bike before I had the cash in hand. :eek: Never. You are more trusting of strangers than I.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Actually, CL is great. I bought my first Triumph off CL, sold it on CL, bought and sole my next bike (Kawasaki Spectre) on CL as well.

The thing is you have to remember that CL is what it is and expecting it to be something it's not will set you up for disappointment.

CL is free that means anybody can buy or sell and that means lots of people who inquire without following up. It's not a big deal as long as you maintain the proper attitude.

The most annoying thing about CL buyers is their tendency to say "will you take $XXXX?" In my mind they're asking a hypothetical question, so often my answer will be "maybe." Drives 'em crazy! :D

When I sold my Tbird I put in the ad: "The price is negotiable, however, I will only negotiate face to face, with cash in hand. That means if you say 'will you take $x for the bike?' and my answer is 'yes' then I expect you to hand me the cash at that moment."

I also put in the ad that anyone could test ride it but they had to hand me the full asking price in cash before they did so. If they crashed, they bought it.

I see no point in arguing with him. Is your time valuable? If so, then why are you wasting it arguing? I would have responded to the first email like this: "$4800 is the price." That's it. No need to argue. If he doesn't want it at that price, you can sell it to someone who does.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have no idea what your Bonneville is worth, but the market does. Seems to me that the better part of valor is to simply say that you don't accept his offer and leave it at that. If someone else comes along and offers you your asking price, you got your asking price and good for you.

On the other hand his guy's offer may be the best the market can do. Now, you may decide not to sell for that price, in which case, the bike is worth more to you than anyone else in your market. But depending on your situation, you may want to take his offer or need to take his offer.

There is nothing personal going on here. He has x amount of $ and is looking for a screaming deal. He may not be interested in the bike, per se, at all- it may just be an item that he wants to buy low and sell for a profit. It could be a Triumph, it could be a box of pipe fittings. Assuming that he actually has the cash, he is figuring that his liquidity has value (which it does) and is trying to cash in on it. All he knows about you is you have an item of value but would rather have a certain amount of cash. You say that is a particular amount of cash, and he is trying to figure out if the amount you say is the real amount. He doesn't know if your firm is really firm and probably doesn't care- he's just hoping that you are some poor schmuck who overextended himself and needs some cash to make a child support payment so that he doesn't go to jail.

There is no place for emotion in business. Well, actually, there is- the seller should try to generate positive emotion in the buyer so that the buyer makes an irrational decision. The buyer should try to generate an emotion in the seller so that he makes an irrational decision. Both parties should avoid feeling anything at all and make the decision on a purely rational basis.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I concur with the people who choose not to deal with the the riff-raff on Craigs List. I'm going to be selling one of my '07 T100's with less than 1,200 miles on it, Togas, gaiters, NH Bellmouth, properly jetted, etc with some warranty remaining and don't want the agro of people who are going to low ball me - it will be Cycle trader and this RAT board.
PS - I like your price since I was going to list mine at $6,000 firm.

Dick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It isn't that I want to make a deal with this guy, like I said, I've already gotten plenty of interest.

I initially did ignore him, but he continued to send smug little emails so I figured I'd tell him in so many ways to bang off. I'm not trying to convince him to make a deal with me at 4800. I'm trying to convince him he is way off base, and even if he did turn around with the 4800 cash in hand I wouldn't do business with him based on the reputation he gave himself.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am the worlds worst salesman, but when it comes to personal items, the thought that seems to apply is " You have to kiss a lot
of toads before you meet the handsome prince."
That said, the last motorcycle I sold, my daughter took the call,
because I wasn't home, and she said "This guy will buy your
bike." He showed up, asking price in hand, in cash, and the rest,
as they say, is history. I don't know what she told him, but it
worked.
cg

·
Premium Member
450 Posts

Well said Easy .... couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
355 Posts
my feelings about selling are how much time do I want to spend on selling something to get an extra $100/$500 or whatever on what someone offers me, unless theres a lot of interest Im just as happy to sell it to the first decent offer with cash and say goodbye to it...normally when you're selling something means you want it out of your hair ASAP

·
Registered
312 Posts
I dunno...seems to me I am always buying or selling, always used. Only bought one new vehicle in my life (that's another story). IMO...and god knows everyone has one...when you deal with a bunch like craigslist, you need to ferret out the talkers, the guys who just want to ride your bike, the people who are looking for an excuse NOT to buy your bike, the people who just want to feel important etc...right away. I'm gonna paraphrase 649cc's philosophy (his original buyer's philosophy), but from the seller's point of view...hey, you only need one buyer *grin* And btw, I agree with you...you said up front, "no negotiation"...so when someone calls and starts right off with a negotiation, I politely hang up. In fact, if they want to do anything but grab a bundle of deposit money and come look at the bike, I politely hang up *grin* meanwhile, in most cases...you are wiser to expect to negotiate with a buyer (as in a real buyer). So ask a fake price like $5395, knowing full well you're gonna come down to $4900. And make it look like you really wanted that extra money...so he feels like he got a deal. It's the American way (for some reason).
now...ready for a test? I really like the price of your bike, but it's far away and I'd have to ship it, and besides I kind of wanted the larger displacement engine...(have you hung up yet? politely? *grin*)
regards,
John

PS regarding the guys who said, hey you had an interested buyer, work with them etc...that game is for some people (very much some people btw), but it doesn't sound to me like you IMO. save on the heartburn, triage!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.