Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I've just bought a '97 Tbird. I drove it home in the dark, and realised that the standard headlight is useless..............seems too diffused and too dim. Has anyone mounted extra lights (maybe dare I sat it Harley style) on their bikes?. Pictures would be great.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
111 Posts
How about brighter filiment? Anyone have recommendations on those? I'm interested in a brighter light for safety reasons.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Headlamp

Land rover accessory headlamps about £20 a pair clear lense a bit more and ring 130/90w lamp available from motor factors should cure the problem, mine is now like a search light but consider wiring in a relay or two like tigers or sprints so as to not overload wiring and switchgear.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any pictures of them mounted, and details of the brackets/fittings you used?

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Land rover use 7" lamps so a straight swap and they take H4 halogen.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, sorry I get you now (being extra thick today). You mean the landi headlamp is a like for like replacement for the Triumph one, not add on accessory lights. That's very interesting. Any particular model/year?.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Rob
Yes they are like for like and should just swap. As all landi's are 7" any year will do...4x4 mags will show lots of dealers but be careful of rip offs. I believe demon tweaks do the big h4 lamps ie 130/90w.
Wiil try to get the brain to remember where I have got them from. I have found running the large wattage lamp that the reflector does discolour with age and use so buying a pair is a good one. I ride everyday with lamps on and got about 3 yrs i think from reflector before it showed signs of distress.

Regards

Nige

·
Registered
181 Posts
So, this bit about adding in some relays if moving up to a LR lamp - in what ways are they protective, to which circuit should they be connected?

I understand relays to be connected to two circuits, typically; the one which activates the relay, and the one which is closed (or opened) upon relay activation.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
its largely because the beam pattern is poor. Get yourself a single 7" Cibie unit and you will notice a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Then once you get a reflector with a good beam pattern consider a HID bulb conversion. I got one from these guys,

http://www.hidcitybikes.co.uk

It fits up nicely to our bikes (the guy who runs it has a Bonnie and frequents the twins forum), is really well made and makes a world of difference over regular bulbs. It's the most useful mod I made to my bike. Nice guys too, (and i'm not just saying that in case he reads this :D ).

Wayne

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Any recommendation as to model number?. Is this the kind of thing I want? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cibie-7-inch-...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Thanks

Rob

Or maybe this landrover unit?. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-Halogen-Hea...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Or this ring one?. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-SEALED-BEAM...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I agree the pattern is naff to say the least
I believe any of those should work, obviously you want the with sidelight model. The Cibie is by far the best make IMO. I shoudl admit I have not fitted one to my TBird (but have to my jeep and MG's for similar reasons). If land rover ones fit then a Cibie that fits a land rover should be fine! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, this bit about adding in some relays if moving up to a LR lamp - in what ways are they protective, to which circuit should they be connected?

I understand relays to be connected to two circuits, typically; the one which activates the relay, and the one which is closed (or opened) upon relay activation.
If moving to landi lamp with standard 55/60w lamp installed would not cause problems, but looking at triumph wiring diagrams ie Sprint or others fitted with twin headlamps then an increase in current draw would happen and to aleviate switch and loom loading, relays are used, switched by the normal switch conns with another feed via fused feed. So in fitting a high wattage lamp ie 130/90w which are obtainable but not for road use....ha ha, the total loading would be that of twin headlamps. Triumph could not furnish me with specs for loading of the switchgear so just err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Wayne (Jim, hidcitybikes)

I'm careful not to push my business on our forum, as I'm sure others are, but I think it should be OK to give some general advice about buying HID Xenon lights, from whoever:

Be careful to read the small print for Catch 22 terms and conditions:
if the returns policy is 'unopened within 7 days' or such, if when you open the box you find the standard kit doesn't fit your bike (TBirds and Bonnies, for instance, need kits with extended ballast leads) you're stuffed for a refund.

Also, check to see if relays are included or supplied free if they are found to be needed on bikes that use kits that don't normally come with relays (to take power direct from the battery to bypass dodgy old wiring) or you'll be at the mercy of the supplier as to how much you'll have to pay to get your kit working.

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts