Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

ancient racer with a Sprint

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ancient racer 
#1 ·
Site newbie here. I finally found you all and hope the site will be as good as it seems to be so far. I live in
Western Washington State USA on the Olympic Peninsula. I've had my 1996 Sprint since 1999; bought it
from a guy in Phoenix who bought it new in New York. It only had 8K miles on it then...it's got 59K now and
still runs great and never fails to make me smile inside my Shoei. I'm lucky to have many good 2lane roads
out here, without much traffic nor stop signs or traffic lights, so "Ruby" (she's a Candy Apple Red Sprint--the
fastest color...) and I just GO! 300 mile days happen often. I'm 72 now and retired, former teacher/carpenter
and ex-AFM club racer in California in the mid-1970's. Quit racing after a nasty high-side in turn 10 at Sears
Point in May 1976...long story...
Anyhow, Hello to all Triumph riders! See you on the road sometime....

#3 ·
Hello ancient racer! Thank you for introducing yourself. We’re really glad you joined! You are a Triumph veteran for sure; very respectable mileage on your Sprint. Can we see a picture of it? I have a soft spot for '96 Triumphs as my first was a Trophy 1200.

I hope you find this site to be a great place to meet and talk with a great bunch of riders about Triumph bikes. Everyone here is very willing to help with questions or problems with your bike(s). I have personally saved lots of time and money thanks to the skilled help I have received from members.

Please post your questions in the sections related to your bike’s model. Most of the time you will get quick, informed responses.

As you cruise around the many different sections of this site you will find a wealth of information. There are technical sections for every Triumph model and chat sections for the same. Also, we have a classifieds section that is well worth checking out. (NOTE: You need to make at least five posts before you can post to Classifieds.)

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them.

Read first before trying to post. Classified Ad Rules - Accessing Our Classifieds

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in. Biker Hang-Out

If you haven't already please fill out your profile. It helps others to know what you ride and where on the planet you are located.

Here are the governing rules of the site and what can and cannot be done here. Acceptable Use Policy - Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining Triumph Rat!

I wish you safe, fun riding!

#4 ·
Thanks Jadorff and FasTriumph for the welcome notes. Always a good thing to hear someone is reading and is willing to reply. This site is not a DUD like so many others. Thanks for the guidelines/rules/policies info. I will abide. In looking around the different forums, I'm pleased to see how everyone tries to keep on topic (within reason, anyway...) and how much critical information is available. I wish I'd found this RAT community sooner; probably would've saved me a lot of "head scratching" trying to figure out some minor problems over the years with my 96 Sprint. As an older rider now, I don't put in as many miles as I used to, but seem to enjoy the ones I do even more. People who I meet on the road are usually surprised when I take off my Shoei and see how old I am....Me and the Sprint still like to go fast when appropriate.
To you all....Ride Safe.

#5 ·
Glad to see you are enjoying your early time here. We come in all shapes, sizes, and belief systems around here. Like you, I appreciate that the focus is motorcycles; how cool they are, how to keep them running, how to fix them, how to tart them up, etc. I'm keen to see a picture of your Sprint. My Trophy was British Racing Green (the actual fastest colour) ;-) . I feel like Triumph puts on the highest quality paint jobs of any major manufacturer. Would love to see how yours is holding up after 25 years.

#6 ·
Hey there FasTriumph....I wish I knew how to send you and all members a pic of Ruby my '96 Sprint....but I'm just an old guy who never learned nor had anyone around to teach me how to post pics. That said, I agree that the paint job on Ruby is still great after all these years. A few chips and scratches here and there after 25 years, but she still shines like crazy! I'll maybe see if I can find someone to help me with my posting pics skills because I'd like to share them with you all.

#9 ·
No worries, ancient racer. Hopefully a friend or neighbor can help you post a pic to satisfy our ravenous hunger for bike pictures; especially cool older ones like yours!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.