Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harbor freight is having a flash sale on their torque wrenches that expires 10/2/22

You can buy either the 1/4", 3/8", or 1/2" or all three for $11.99 each.
Limit is three and they have a lifetime warranty.

These torque wrenches are as reliable as any of the affordable ones around and are as easily calibrated.

Font Line Office supplies Material property Writing implement

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
1,436 Posts
Nothing to do with the original sale item, but if your mind is turning towards torque wrenches I thought you might like this. A riding mate got this ad in his email. Still trying to figure out the cow. :)

They are also very insistent on how clear it is to read.

Font Writing implement Poster Advertising Publication

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
always wondered about accuracy. How would I find a place to calibrate it and would it likely be expensive
If you don't know of anyone or a shop that has a torque-wrench (TW) comparator - locate a tool truck like Snapon whose operator has a comparator onboard (not all do) and may be willing to entertain your curiosity in hopes of selling a torque wrench.

If s/he won't test off brands, beer, lunch or cash is persuasive...

You could also compare 3 or 5 low, middle and high readings each - in range on your TW - to a known recently calibrated wrench of similar range - by placing several new nuts & bolts in a vise - and turning - logging each result - which should not be off by a few percent in each "stage" - on the TW testing/ known good TW comparing to - mid, low, high...

Contacting a manufacturer directly, possibly even NIST, will help with guidance on calibration...

Some brands offer no calibration facility guidance, but for Snapon it's about $100 for service & printed NIST certification (that is generally good to have for liability/ may be required for certain functions - government, race team and aviation for instance)...

·
Registered
2018 Bonneville Speedmaster
462 Posts
I have the 3/8 and 1/2 harbor freight torque wrenches and they seem to work fine. By the way at the store in my area you can get them calibrated in the store. I have never done it but the manager told me when I bought the last one that I can bring it in whenever I want and he can test it. Plus the Pittsburgh hand tools have a lifetime warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts