Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remember the Madass Scooter? A single cylinder 50cc naked scooter built by Sachs but based on the old horizontal Honda 50 engine?

Well the rumor mill has it that they are going to build a 500cc version! So far it appears to only be a concept bike, but there's no reason it couldn't be a reality. The trouble is, the concept bike uses the antiquated India Enfield engine, of dubious reliability and horsepower. Otherwise it's a tasty bit of lightweight kit!

Now why they didn't use the readily available knockoff Honda 200 engine from China is beyond me. It makes almost as much HP as the Enfield and is said to be stone cold reliable. With overhead cam and aluminum cylinder it already meets tough emission standards. The Enfield unit seen here is the old 500 Bullet engine, which is already on the way out because it couldn't meet emissions regs. (Perhaps production units would use the Electra engine. It's unclear.) A 500cc Rotax would be better yet.

In any case, weird as I am I find this thing very interesting. What do you guys think?

Eric Buell, Eat your heart out! The Germans can do 50 year old technology too!

edit: After some research it seems that Sachs has pretty much folded up as a company and is no longer building even the 50cc Madass- in spite of moderately good sales. Curiously, the Austrian company AVL who did the upgrades on the Enfield engine was closely associated with the Chinese company which is a large investor in Sachs. The Chinese company is working on a 220cc sportbike. Keep your eyes open on this one.

[ This message was edited by: crashmasterd on 2007-02-20 00:13 ]

·
Registered
192 Posts
What a starnge little machine. Might be cool with a 675 triple in it. That thing would wiegh nothing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
xcellent concept I can only see more of this stuff comming in, its a practical segway in reality.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Keep it light, cheap, and simple. AND easy to work on.

A single cylinder, DOHC 500cc, aircooled, engine with an aluminum/Nikasil bore. Lots of torque to keep it fun.

Done right, this could be a beginners Hooligan bike, that would sell very well.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Looks like it'll boil your boyz.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Very odd to see an old looking engine in a new looking frame.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I sure hope there´s an optional geal seat! :-D

[ This message was edited by: Fenster on 2007-02-20 14:06 ]

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Reminds me of one of these, kinda.

http://www.xtremesport.org/bschwartz-la-playa-19772.jpg[/img

[url="http://[MEDIA=youtube]PkuNCm_VsNw[/MEDIA]" TARGET="_blank">[/url]

[ This message was edited by: Limey on 2007-02-20 21:14 ]