Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that some '05+ S3s have problems with their front brake pistons sticking to their seals and increasing lever travel. My 11/05 production '06 has coated pistons and the brakes are excellent and the lever travel is short and stable. My brother's '05 S3 has uncoated pistons and his lever travel is long and increases after a piston push.

On that basis, I (like many of us) believe the solution is to do something to keep (uncoated) pistons from sticking to their seals. I happened to see the following product at the local Kragen last night:

The Product Data Sheet at the Permatex web site says,

"Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube is a green, environmentally friendly, non-melting, pure synthetic lubricant. It is formulated to lubricate under the most adverse brake conditions, assuring that critical caliper pins, sleeves, bushings and pistons remain lubricated throughout pad life."

This sounds like it will likely solve the brake problems for those with uncoated pistons. Has anyone tried this product? For less than $6, it seems very worth trying.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't the finish on the (uncoated) pistons chrome or nickel and very smooth to begin with? If so, I can't imagine polishing them would make any difference.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
They did this on mine at the dealership when they replace my seals, made no difference.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just an idea I came up with.
Well still no mushiness yet. A few months gone and the lever is still as stiff as a horny rhino.
Seems the 5/8 master, twin lines, tefloned nipples ( :-D ) and EBC HH pads cured my mushy lever syndrome.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
how much initial level slack do you guys have on your proper brakes now??

i hate to say it, but my brakes were recently warrantied by triumph with new seals, pistons, and to be honest, i still have some slack on the lever that's about 3/4".
is this normal? am i being too critical? the brakes still don't feel as nice as my cr5 brakes.
(this is with brembo MC)
thanks in advance.
-b

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
A properly bled brake system should have no mushiness.
The individual brake items on the S3 are in theory top notch and should result in excellent brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts