Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Like the new look ;)

Out on the Commander a couple of weeks ago and a few miles after leaving home the bike started handling badly. A puncture.

I went back home to find 15lbs and a very large nail in the back tyre.

No problems, I'll get that repaired. Oh no I won't. I couldn't find anyone who'd repair it. The local bike shop said they'd only plug it if it was a temporary measure and couldn't repair it anyway as their bead breaker couldn't take a 200 tyre!

In the end I called my dealer who sent out a van. Later they said they wouldn't repair it either as they didn't feel it was worth it given the tyre was nearly 3 years old and had over 11k miles on it (those Commander II tyres are brilliant)

They couldn't get a new tyre and I had to order one from the internet.

Lots of issues with the tyre delivery but I finally got the bike back yesterday.

Very roughly, the whole business cost around 拢300 with fitting and transport of the bike.

At least I got 11k out of it and I would probably have changed it anyway before my Swiss/France trip next year, but I could have done without the expense coming up to Christmas!

Talking of Christmas, I hope you all have a great one 馃. Shiny side up(y)

Registered
I've caught nails on the street a few times. I thought they were only attracted to new tires. I wouldn't have patched that tire, either. I've ridden lots of miles on a plugged tire but it was a new one and plugged near the center.

You were lucky to get home.

I once caught a nail in a front tubed tire. It went down very quickly and I nearly did, too.

Registered
11k on a rear? I've barely made 5k on 3 rears, all different brands. I would've replaced it too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Registered
One of the Harley Dealers used to pull that crap of lying to customers to sell a new tire and plead it was a "liability" issue. Then the employees would patch/fix the tire and use it on their own bikes.. I've always plugged tubeless tires and put a patch if needed on the tubed tire....and then replaced the tube. Never, ever had an issue owning numerous bikes and tires.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
11k on a rear? I've barely made 5k on 3 rears, all different brands. I would've replaced it too.

Michelin reckon the Commander II will outperform any other cruiser tyre and 11k with several thousand still left I agree with them.

The original tyre needed replacing after 6k.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
One of the Harley Dealers used to pull that crap of lying to customers to sell a new tire and plead it was a "liability" issue. Then the employees would patch/fix the tire and use it on their own bikes.. I've always plugged tubeless tires and put a patch if needed on the tubed tire....and then replaced the tube. Never, ever had an issue owning numerous bikes and tires.
It wasn't just the main dealer but two other bike shops I tried. I even asked the car tyre place along the road to me and they wouldn't repair it either.

The only thing the dealer makes out of it is the fitting charge as I bought my own tyre. They would charge me that anyway in April when I would have replaced it anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I've caught nails on the street a few times. I thought they were only attracted to new tires. I wouldn't have patched that tire, either. I've ridden lots of miles on a plugged tire but it was a new one and plugged near the center.

You were lucky to get home.

I once caught a nail in a front tubed tire. It went down very quickly and I nearly did, too.
It was remarkable how well the bike handled with only 15lb in the rear tyre.

I wouldn't ride with tubed tyres now. In fact the reason I didn't buy the LT rather than the Commander as the early ones had tubed tyres.

Registered
Michelin reckon the Commander II will outperform any other cruiser tyre and 11k with several thousand still left I agree with them.

The original tyre needed replacing after 6k.
The last tire I had was a commander ii.

Registered
Best I鈥檝e done on a Commander II is 5,700 miles, 9,000 KM. I am using Dunlop American Elite now, getting 7,000 plus miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts