Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a past and present bike rider I have, to some extent followed the Harry Dunn motorcycle death. The news people typically do not provide important details from which we can learn. They provide a headline and then verbally dance around that to make an article that will sell. It is back in the news here in the US with Harry's family reportedly in the process of suing Anne Sacoolas for Harry's death. Ann's return to the US with claimed diplomatic immunity to escape responsibilty has been exhaustively discussed on another thread here.

In 1969 my wife and I nearly had the same fate as Harry. We were riding south on a two lane country highway on a sunny day in a 55 mph zone on our bike. It happened very quickly; we met an opposing, northbound auto with another auto pulling out to pass that auto. I instinctively swerved to the right to make room for the passing auto but did not leave the pavement. For a moment there were three adjacent vehicles on two lanes, the northbound auto being passed, the northbound auto passing that auto and us southbound on the bike near the edge of the road.

I got a quick view of the driver in the passing auto who appeared to be elderly. There was a lady in the passenger seat. He was oblivious to us; never saw us according to the angle of his face as he went by.

Here are several details related to our particular experience:
1. There was no "Motorcycle Daytime Headlight On" law at that time.
2. The road, on flat terrain, was wide enough for us to survive. Guessing from distant memory after 51 years, it may have been 20 feet wide in total.
3. My eyesight and reflexes worked well that day.
4. If I had to leave the road for us to survive, that would have been possible with an unpaved shoulder several feet wide and then a grassy ditch that was not deep and was 10 or more feet wide. There were no nearby trees nor vegetation other than grass.

It has been inferred that Ann Sacoolas was driving continuously on the wrong side of the road. Could poor Harry have had the time to attempt evasive action? Was the road narrow or wide? What were the weather and terrain like? Did the car hit the bike as both attempted the same evasive move? Was there other traffic on the correct side of the road and were the sides of the road covered with vegetation or obstacles to block an escape path? What would you have done if you know what Harry saw?

·
Driftless Admin
11,871 Posts
What would you have done if you know what Harry saw?
I don't know what he saw. Apparently, neither do you. So, what's the point? You just wanted to let us know you avoided a wreck in '69? Good work on that.

I avoided hitting a deer once. As long as we're sharing stories.

I get talking about reflexes and target fixation and accident avoidance. But why bring up Harry's name in that discussion if you have no knowledge of the details of his accident?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ntnbutrbl, I suspect you're well-meaning in your post, but the circumstances that happened on that day, happened - no fault has ever been insinuated towards Harry's riding, or how the young lad reacted.
Fortunately for you and your wife back in 69, your reaction worked for that specific situation at that exact moment in time.
I think though, you answered your own questions. Had just one of a million variables out of your control been slightly different, then you also may not have been so fortunate.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
,,,,,, What would you have done if you know what Harry saw?
There's not a single person on here, or for that matter anywhere else, that can answer that question.
We all think we know what we'd like to do in those situations but none of us know what we would do unless we are actually in that situation. And it doesn't matter that someone reacted correctly one time in a difficult situation the next time the results could be completely opposite.
There are so many variables for anyone to realistically answer that.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Director of Public Prosecution concluded yesterday that she did not have diplomatic immunity.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Director of Public Prosecution concluded yesterday that she did not have diplomatic immunity.
And that sums it up, if the police had done their job properly she would not have been able to leave the country.

They used to say that the CPP stood for "couldn't prosecute satan".

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
If the Foreign Sec'y perhaps hadn't made out that she did have diplomatic immunity.....smells verdammt fishy to me

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
If the Foreign Sec'y perhaps hadn't made out that she did have diplomatic immunity.....smells verdammt fishy to me
Five Eyes. Next...

Reactions: KADUTZ

·
Registered
234 Posts
The correct thing is to have a full investigation with questions and answers from both sides of the very sad accident. If you feel you are not to blame then what is the reason why you should not want to Clear your name and set the record straight at an official investigation.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Let's be fair the present lot of politicians don't have many marbles between all of them and then listen to (and believe) the even more stupid civil servants.
Think of the 1980's TV series Yes Minister, which was based on fact, the script writers used information from Anthony Jay's diaries if memory serves.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Disgraceful insinuation. The matter is before the courts, why can't you leave it at that? This post should be pulled.
Agreed

K😷

I avoided hitting a deer once. As long as we're sharing stories.
Sharing stories.... OK January 1976 lost a bunch of my teeth when I got hit head on in my car. Tried to go thru the windshield. Had a nice ambulance ride. Until you been there......

K😷

A young man died the other party ran away . Sad day all round , I think his parents would like to know how and why the incident happened , anything the other driver says could be taken as an admission of guilt .

Yes very sad day and yes a young man died. But the other party did not run away as you state. Suggest you do a bit of research on this Tragedy. As you state anything said by the Driver could be taken as an admission of guilt perhaps we can approach this with a Christian attitude. That is an Eye For An Eye. Perhaps the Drivers young son (who was in the car at the time of the accident) should be turned over to Mr Dunn's parents for (shall we say ) 'disposal'. As I strongly suspect the Driver is/was an 'asset' you are as likley to see her back as we are to see Prince Andrew back here for any testimony on the 'other' situation....

K😷

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Stuff still coming out watch and learn . Both sides have to come to terms about what has happened , just about all the authorities involved have managed to screw up the whole situation .

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Fair trade. Let's make it happen
Most amusing. Were this 1940, the Duke of Windsor might be a closer equivalent since the FBI and others were already tapping his lines. Andrew hasn't been anywhere near any dispatch boxes nor has he been conspiring with hostile dictators AFAIK. :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts