Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this oil in place of say Mobil 1 ? I live in Australia and been trying to source a good synthetic oil for my Rocket. So far AMSOIL looks like the better choice around?

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
I use Amsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil. Expensive and reputed to be good stuff. Since I change it once a year--which for me is about 3000 miles--I don't mind the expense.

·
Registered
964 Posts
For my 18,000 mile service I changed from the Mobile 1 15w-50 oil to the Amsoil 20w-50 synthetic w/ a Purolator Pure One (PL-14612) oil filter. I bought 5 quarts @ 10.50 USD each, that works out to about the same as the Triumph packaged Mobile 1 oil (4 liter jug), but I get more oil for the money. Amsoil synthetics are API grade SL and are JASO MA approved for use in wet clutches. According to the Amsoil sales promo, it's supposed to be better oil, with double the recommended change intervals with only a change of filter or one year whichever comes first; however, I take this with a grain of salt. I run about 6000 miles (Triumph recommended change interval) a year so I change out once a year anyway. Amsoil has a 10w-40 grade for those living in cooler climates, but the 20w-50 works well for hot Houston summers. I didn't know that the Amsoil brand was available overseas; I learn something new every day.-----James.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
So many guys were raving about Amsoil I finally switched on my spring oil change. We'll see how it goes but I'm hoping to extend the mileage between oil changes.

One of the owners at my dealership put Amsoil in his truck and claims it'll go over 12,000 between oil changes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback on the oil. Here in Australia it works out to around US$15 per quart but it is still inline with other good synthetics. There is an excellent set of comparisons of the major synthetics on the AMSOIL web site. I also have a Harley Fatboy and will use AMSOIL in it based on how the Harley oil did not compare well to AMSOIL.
Cheers,

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
<...>There is an excellent set of comparisons of the major synthetics on the AMSOIL web site.<...>
Well, that's bound to be unbiased, isn't it? :p

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
04 Speedmaster, 05 Tiger
336 Posts
I am using Amsoil in both my 04 Speedmaster and 05 Tiger. Change every 5000 km ( 3000 mi ) no problems.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well, that's bound to be unbiased, isn't it? :p Cheers, -Kit
Sure, every company is going to say their product is the best; it's called advertising. The tests shown on the Amsoil website are standardized tests; they can't out and out lie to you (or the Federal Trade Commission would hammer them good). But, you have to expect a little embellishment here and there.

As far as their claim of DOUBLE the oil change intervals with only an oil filter change or one year whichever comes first (this translates to 12,000 miles for my Thruxton); this sounds too good to be true. I change mine every 6000 miles; this according to the manual. Oil gets contaminated with dirt and metal particles; the modern spin-on oil filters are supposed to take care of this. The oil molecules shear (especially in transmission use); synthetic oils are supposed to be engineered to resist this for a longer time. The Triumph factory took this into account when specifying oil change intervals; they recommend synthetic oil.

The OP wanted to know more about Amsoil; I think it's a good alternative to the Mobile 1 oil in the 4 liter jug with the Triumph branding on it. This branding smacks of HarleyDavidsonism (no such word, just coined it a minute ago; but it covers a multitude of evils :D), and goes against the grain.Triumph and HD don't refine oil to the best of my knowledge; and it's nice to know that I can find oil in more places than at my dealer.---James.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amsoil

Clearly any manufacturer will only post positive results on their own website, but as mentioned the tests they used are industry standard tests. I tried to get similar test results for Harley on their oils but to no avail.

I am planning to use the AMSOIL oil filter as well as their oil so hopefully its ability to strip out the smaller particles will help too. I plan to change my oil at the same interval as suggested by Triumph anyhow even though the cost here in Australia makes it pretty expensive. For me it is important that the engine runs as efficiently as possible especially during our summer months when temperatures get pretty high day and night.

Thanks for all your insights and feedback.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,790 Posts
One of the owners at my dealership put Amsoil in his truck and claims it'll go over 12,000 between oil changes.
Unless he's got lab data to show it didn't need to be changed earlier, or he's already gotten 200,000 miles out of that truck with that oil change interval, this doesn't tell us my, IMHO.

Thruxton-Texas said:
HarleyDavidsonism (no such word, just coined it a minute ago; but it covers a multitude of evils :D)
Covers? Describes, sure, but covers? :D

·
Registered
964 Posts
Covers? Describes, sure, but covers? :D
Picky,picky, picky!:D In the context of the posted subject, the word "covers" is "close enough for government work". The posts on these threads (including mine) are not expected to be complete or scholarly works. I think I do well for a semi-literate *******.:laughhard:.----James.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,790 Posts
The posts on these threads (including mine) are not expected to be complete or scholarly works.
I want references! Footnotes! :p

Well, not usually. But when it comes to engine oil and doubling the change intervals, I'm going to need more than 'some guy did it.'

·
Registered
964 Posts
I want references! Footnotes! :p

Well, not usually. But when it comes to engine oil and doubling the change intervals, I'm going to need more than 'some guy did it.'
One link beats a footnote; it's sorta like a reference :D. Seriously, the Amsoil company claims that regular change intervals can be DOUBLED; if you change the filter (theirs) at the regular intervals, or once yearly whichever comes first. I take this claim with a large grain of salt. But, if for some reason I should happen to go over the 6000 mile interval by a little; it's nice to know that an extra hundred miles or so won't abuse the engine. It's not a problem for me; I usually replenish the oil in my deep-fat frier with the drainings anyway. Some fellow told me that Amsoil makes the catfish taste better than Mobile 1 anyway.:biglaugh:------James.

http://www.amsoil.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts