Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it suppose to read when bike is running. I have a 68 front end on a 72 daytona. With my meter hooked up it reads zero.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Are you talking about the ammeter mounted to the bike or are you trying to use a multimeter?

My headlight mounted ammeter is all but useless. The bike is basically a paint shaker and the needle just swings wildly ... I would say that maybe they should have used an oil-filled gauge, but being British ... well ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talking about the ammeter in the headlight pod. I know my bike did not come with one but because i have an older front end grafted on to her i wired it up because it was there. Your right on the bouncing needle but i figured it should give me a rough ideal. Looks like it stays in the middle and increases just a bit at higher rpm's. I was under the impression it should read some kind of amps.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Looks like it stays in the middle and increases just a bit at higher rpm's. I was under the impression it should read some kind of amps.

Slimmer,

You are thinking of a volt meter. An amp meter reads when a
load is placed on the circut or when a charge is placed on the
circut. With the bike not running turn on the head light and you
will get a reading on the low side. If you have a low battery and
you start the bike up you will get a reading on the high side, untill
the battery is charged again thus sending the reading to zero.
A good system will only move a little in either direction when
working right.

Pookybear

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
My 68 T120 reads a slight negative flow at idle then goes to the plus side when I rev it past 2,000rpm. If I run the lights it doesn't get back to the middle until about 3800rpm and doesn't ever get much of a positive reading with the lights on. If I step on the brake it really goes negative.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My meter is a show all on its own. At tickover and no lights it reads slightly plus, rev to 2500 and it shows 25% plus, rev to 3,500 and it goes 50%. On the road at 50mph and 3.500rpm its back to 25% at 60mph and 4000+ rpm its 10%negative !! logic would say more revs means more charge but no , and with the lights on its the same but go to full main beam and the green light comes on and it drops 25% no matter what revs???. The battery shows full charge on stopping and put on Optimate it goes straight to maintain show its in good charge. l had a battery condition light fitted ( see Paul Goff motorcycle electrics) which l had on my TR6SS , ljust sold it and forgot to remove , it was the best guage of battery and chargs condition , so l'll have to by a new one just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Back in my "misspent youth", I owned and MGB and I guess the fuel tank had no baffles in it, or the sending unit was extra sensitive as the gas gauge would "bounce" continually when I drove it. With that in mind, when ever I look at my ammeter on the '70, I simply take for granted that if it's moving, there's got to be something in there!! It's been like that since I bought it in 1979..........

Words of wisdom of the "village idiot": Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts