Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I think more like 3 litres myself, in practice?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hmm, reports on here have varied over the years. Someone once posted that they had measured it at 5 litres, another that it was no more than 0.4 of a US gallon. Someone else said they thought the size of the petcock changed in '99, reducing the reserve on later models. Slinky reckoned he could easily get 50 miles on reserve (before he swapped the stock gravity tap for a vacuum tap).

I've never run on reserve for more than a few miles, so I don't know from personal experience (but then I, too, now have a vacuum tap fitted).

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The correct answer is just enough to get you one mile shy of the nearest gas station:)

Seriously, I have always intended on taking a small fuel bottle with me and riding it to empty just to get a number. That number will, of course, depend on your carb set-up, the weather, and your riding style.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It really is in your best interest to ride the bike, both in the city and on the highway, 'till it dies just so you know for sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The correct answer is just enough to get you one mile shy of the nearest gas station:)

Seriously, I have always intended on taking a small fuel bottle with me and riding it to empty just to get a number. That number will, of course, depend on your carb set-up, the weather, and your riding style.
The funny thing is, This question was spawned do to me running out of gas about two miles from the nearest gas station in the middle of nowhere.

I DO carry a spare gallon of gas when I drive my El Camino because the gas gauge will sometimes stick at a quarter tank.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My '04 TBS will go 30-35km (18-21 miles) on reserve. I haven't run out, but have lots of fuel consumption data and have put 15 litres in a couple of times. Don't have the amount of gas in front of me though.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
haynes manual states .8 of a gallon....
Interesting. Presumably that's US gallons, which equates to a little over 3 litres. In both of my Haynes editions (UK, 1999 and 2007) reserve capacity is specified as 4 litres - for which, presumably, they relied upon the figures in Triumph's Service Manual. But then, in Haynes that figure is given for all the Classic Triples, whereas my copy of the Service Manual (Issue 8) states that the TBS has a total capacity of 25 litres and a reserve of 5 litres (not to mention a low level warning lamp). :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
. . .whereas my copy of the Service Manual (Issue 8) states that the TBS has a total capacity of 25 litres and a reserve of 5 litres (not to mention a low level warning lamp). :D
25litres?? Wow, I wish I had 25 litres, then I wouldn't have to stop every 120 miles / 200km for gas. :D

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
From the owners' handbook for a 2000 Legend --

Tank Capacity (including reserve) -- 15L
Reserve Capacity -- 4L

So over 25% of the tank is "reserve"?

I know my 11L of the main tank takes me about 125-150miles, before needing to switch to reserve. YMMV

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
The manual might say 15l, but the tank will take more than 17l. It will take 17.25 litres or so.

·
Registered
847 Posts
what is the amount of fuel in the tank for reserve?
On my stock '95 Thunderbird, two up, on the highway riding sedately, I got 70km on reserve before I had to stop and use my gallon can of fuel.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
neil.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Total Fuel Capacity TBS

Interesting. Presumably that's US gallons, which equates to a little over 3 litres. In both of my Haynes editions (UK, 1999 and 2007) reserve capacity is specified as 4 litres - for which, presumably, they relied upon the figures in Triumph's Service Manual. But then, in Haynes that figure is given for all the Classic Triples, whereas my copy of the Service Manual (Issue 8) states that the TBS has a total capacity of 25 litres and a reserve of 5 litres (not to mention a low level warning lamp). :D
Yes, strange how Triumph could get it so wrong. In the course of draining the tank and cleaning the fuel strainers I measured exactly 19 litres back into the tank, completely empty to full to the brim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts