Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lord of Darkness snaps at my heels... I'd like to keep a watchfull eye on his gremlin-like shennanigans in the 'loom! I have the OIF '72 Bonnie, which of course has no ammeter, flat headlight shell 'n' all as well as those folk in early 70's Coventry thinking the'd run the Master of Blackness out of this world for good! However, I'd still like to see how the charging is going whilst running tha lass; any thoughts on connection points as well as mounting options? Would I wire it in series with the negative of the battery directly?

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you google "motorcycle battery voltage monitor" you'll come up with various guages... I put one on my 2005 Bonneville, and found out just how poor my voltage regulator really was.

Some things to consider: You can't just hook it up to the + and - sides of the battery - the guage would read even if the key was off and drain the battery. You'd have to find a lead in that rat's nest of a headlight wiring that would give you a decent reading of what was flowing back to the battery.

I dunno what wire that would be, but I'd sure like to know, because I'd like to put the same thing on my '72 TR6R!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've ordered one from Paul Goff in the UK and will install upon arrival; I'll inspect a suitable position for it, possible with a live lead with the horn; needing the ignition key turned and not using juice in normal operation. I'll see how it helps ascertain the regulator charging.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Received the battery meter yesterday and started to see how it'll work in the bikes circuit. At the mo' a flashing red light is showing , highlighting the battery is undercharged; even with the engine on it dowsn't show normal charge. Need to carry out some more investigation. Rotor? Stator?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts