Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Who needs a horn when you have a bumper. What kills me is that the cars get out of the way (eventually) but the pedestrians are like ho-hum. I guess if a Humvee got to close you could just lie down and let it glide over you, but why take the chance?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, it seems like from the reactions that type of thing is the norm. Nobody was freaking out or anything like that.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Winning hearts and minds again? That great US army speciality! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts

Want to be stuck in traffic in an army jeep in that city Nick ?

.....besides they may have been back-up for an incident and had to get there !

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Banned
277 Posts
tbird, good job putting nick in his place, my response would have been F you! Political correctness is not my specialty. And of course people get out of the way, that thing probably has a .50 cal on the roof, and several trained marksmen inside! They have to keep their speed up to avoid IED's and suicide car bombers. I met this kid on a trip to the desert who was a driver for officers in Iraq, he said never, ever stop.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Baja rules!!

I LOVE IT!!!

If I could only do that in L.A. :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
I agree with Nick. US foreign policy in a nutshell.

Even more of a worry are the number of respondents who would like to use those tactics on their commute.

No I wouldn't like to be stuck in that vehicle, in that city. Should they even be there?

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Need to get realistic, that's not US foreign policy it's about troops staying alive, they didn't asked to be there nor are they going to make themselves an easy target to be polite, that's a war zone. Would British troops in the same circumstances drive any differently ?

-----------------

·
Registered
544 Posts
Would British troops in the same circumstances drive any differently
I totally agree that those troops would sooner be elsewhere. They have been placed in that situation for dubious political reasons. We all are placed in situations we would rather not be in at some time but not all of us would resort to bullying others.
True they may have been responding to a call for help, they may also have been playing to the camera. We just don't know.

The civilian population of Iraq are also in a position which is not of their choosing.

Hey! Let's talk about bikes........:D

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I agree with Nick. US foreign policy in a nutshell.

Even more of a worry are the number of respondents who would like to use those tactics on their commute.

No I wouldn't like to be stuck in that vehicle, in that city. Should they even be there?
Yep precisely.

Given that they are there no I probably wouldn't stop either.
As for political correctness? F you too throttlejockey ;). Its not political correctness is bloody good sense. My father in law was with the SAS team in Oman in the early 70s. Winning hearts and minds as an army doctor. His assessment of Iraq and Afghansistan is that its a cluster F. Basicaly we shot ourselves in the foot by not concentrating on winning over the local population. I wont go into details but its all wrong over there and his is a voice of experience I will listen too. I know if I'd scraped together a pittance to buy my family a car I'd be pretty pissed off if it was just bashed out of the way. the thoughts of the foreign soldiers who'd messed up my country in the first place who are inside wouldn't be top most on my mind. There is the dilema. The Iraqi whos getting pushed about isn't going to care much for the foreign occupier. The Foreign occupier who's mate's are getting totalled isn't going to care much for the Iraqi. Catch 22 No ones right no ones wrong. Better not to be there in the first place. Or if you are going to be there be there cos your wanted. Zimbabwe might be a place to start. One place where a bit of foreign intervention might actualy win hearts and minds.

Ok serious bit over, back to "yeah man I'd like to drive like that in rush hour" except I don't have to cos I ride a bike not a friggin great hummer and so I just go round em!;)

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Would British troops in the same circumstances drive any differently ?QUOTE]

I totally agree that those troops would sooner be elsewhere. They have been placed in that situation for dubious political reasons. We all are placed in situations we would rather not be in at some time but not all of us would resort to bullying others.
True they may have been responding to a call for help, they may also have been playing to the camera. We just don't know.

The civilian population of Iraq are also in a position which is not of their choosing.

Hey! Let's talk about bikes........:D
I could have said this was one of my Rocket III buddies beeping his horn forcing the Hummer to get out of his way, but who would have believed me..!! ;)

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
.............. We all are placed in situations we would rather not be in at some time but not all of us would resort to bullying others...........

The point is being missed that in those situations you don't stop in traffic in that type of vehicle if you want to live.

I will have to swap some stories with you Nick sometime, I was in Aden and Oman for 2 years, when I was driven around in a wire-meshed Landrover in certain hotspot townships we didn't stop either. During that time a British CO of a regiment was ambushed in his landrover and he and his driver only escaped by ramming the barricade that was being placed behind him. That town was called Crater, his regiment later sorted it out !

Winning hearts and minds against terrorists ! Good one !

--------------

1 - 20 of 29 Posts