Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what are the best options for saddlebags for an America. Can anybody shed some light:)

Thanks in advance,

Mezambo

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do a search, you will find finds lots of post on bags. I got the Saddleman Drifter bags with EZ brackets. The bags were about the same price as the brackets. But the brackets make removal easy, to clean chain, etc. And I figured they will last for every set of bags I go through over the years. Here is a shot during a quick stop yesterday.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have the hardbags from new bonneville, you can find them threw other places under the name tsubaki jumbostrong. they run about $650.00 but are worth every penny. although shorter passengers may require you to move the rear footpegs forward a bit. my girlfriend is 5'0" and had a hard time getting her legs past the bags to reach the pegs so i had to have a friedn make a new set of peg mounts for me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the large Triumph bags and like them just fine (it has only been about a month). They were really easy to install and the bags can be removed by taking off the seat and undoing a bit of velcro.

Oh, and they say Triumph! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Klicbag bracket

I´ve had the Klicbag http://www.klicbag.com/ saddlebags for a few years now and they are great.

Easy to install and remove with the bracket system and if you buy a different model bike just buy new brackets and off you go.

Do you happen to know if these brackets would work on the Bonneville also? They have a really nice look to them and are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 2009 America with less than 450 miles on it. It came tricked out with Triumph windshield, toolbag, and large saddlebags. I now have hit the 1,000 mile point and have only used the saddlebags to carry a couple 16 oz. sodas and some snacks when I go to work. I noticed little silver things in the bottom of the bag and found that the rivets holding the bags onto the strap are falling off. I am not carrying any kind of load in there and for them only riding a thousand miles, that's pretty poor performance. I am now trying to use pop rivets and washers to replace the missing rivets because I don't want to buy a new set of bags. I may wind up using small nuts and bolds with washers to fix them. At least you don't see the rivets from the outside. I am really disappointed that Triumph put their logo on something so cheap.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
wassman, I'm still using the factory bags that were on my 09 at purchase. They do have some visible wear on them but nothing that the years not parked in a garage and a bit over 36,000 miles wouldn't put on any bag. I use them often as my America is transportation for work, groceries and the like unless cargo or weather makes the car more practical.
Most of my wear is on the front outside edge of the bags. Maybe from a passenger rubbing against them. They still hold there shape. All fasteners are in place and the Velcro straps still grip well. Have been off & on many times as I can't just leave things alone. Don't know if the wear on my saddle bags are typical or not but they look OK for their age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well it sounds like yours are in great shape. I don't know what the deal is. The Velcro and the clips are fine and the bags themselves are pristine. They have seen very little rain as I mostly use my bike for commuting to work and only ride when the weather's nice. It's just something with the rivets...they are all just separating and dropping off. Really bugs the crap out of me because the pop-rivet idea isn't working as well as I thought. It's hard to get everything in place and then pop it without the washer falling off and screwing the whole thing up....and that's why I am a computer tech and not a mechanic....hahaha.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I had a problem with the rivets coming apart also. I went to the hardware store and bought some small machine screws and washers and nylok nuts to replace the rivets. You don't see them and I don't worry about those cheesy rivets coming apart anymore. The best mounts for bags on a cruiser are the EZ Brackets in my opinion. When the bags are off the bike it is a clean look.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Can't get more "American" than Leatherworks Inc. I think that they sell the best quality leather saddlebags. They also do custom work. Check out their website: http://www.leatherworksinc.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts