Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have kind of a hybrid marriage between my america and a rocket III the front end is from a rocket. I have a couple of questions I have a LH caliper I just want to use one for this set up. Does the caliper fit on a bracket or bolt straight on to the fork? Also where can i source those bolts or can I use standard grade 8 bolts? What diameter are the handle bars stock? The PO put a straight bar in place of the normal bars. Also do you think I could use a america brake line instead of a rocket line? One last question Ive heard the bolts for the rotor are pretty expensive I dont have any could i use standard hex head bolts? thanks a lot for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
If you'll forgive a couple of editorial comments right up front:
(1) It's a very cool looking machine.
(2) The previous owner didn't give you very much of a Rocket front end to work with! And,
(3) The handling of this odd combination has got to be pretty unorthodox compared to either bike originally, so whatever you do to it is probably not going to make it much more unsafe than it already is.

I mention the latter point partly in jest, because, in general, if a front end is designed for dual rotors, it's best to balance the braking load between both sides, not apply it all to one. And, I hope you'll clarify what you mean when you say "standard" hex head bolts. I don't pretend to be an expert on brakes, but if you mean something from the hardware store, I doubt you'll end up with bolts that can be safely torqued to the spec for Rocket brakes. Whether that will matter, who knows, but I wouldn't bet my own life on it. At the very least I'd try to find bolts of a grade used on some manufacture of motorcycle brakes, not just any general purpose bolt.

As for an America brake line versus a Rocket one, who knows. I have no idea if either one would be the right size for the hybrid as it exists now, or as it will be after you put a different bar on it. You'll probably have to make that decision later.

I'll leave your post here for a while so that other members can answer the bar size question and take a shot at the other questions ...they may have a different take on what you're asking. Later, I'll probably move this thread to the workshop questions forum, where more all-purpose mechanics can take a look at it.

I'd also encourage you to seek the advice of a local professional motorcycle mechanic on the brake situation. And, if you haven't already done so, you might also want to ask on some sites that specialize in chopping and bobbing. As you may have guessed, what your bike already has are not the sort of mods most of us Rocket captains have attempted on our own machines. ;)

·
Registered
855 Posts
A 320 mm diameter brake disc is going make the left side of your bike look like its got a crossdrilled moon hubcap on it.

The bars are 1".

Most of the mounting and bracket info can be found in the schematics at bikebandit http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-motorcycle-rocket-iii-2006/o/m17671

What kind of master cylinder do you plan to use? I guess you are going with a different front wheel? EgoTrip has custom wheels for the Rocket, so you might be able to find something that will bolt to your rotor. They also might help you deal with any offset issues.

I personally would go with a custom front brake set up with components meant to work together.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It sounds like a cool idea and definitely different (can't see the pic from here at work),
Most of this you'll have to work out for yourself if you intend to go this route. I doubt anyone else has attempted this conversion. Personnally, I'd just go back with a Speedmaster front supension. The power to weight ratio on the Speedmaster already leaves a alot to be desired, and the RIII suspension just adds a bunch more weight.

I've often wondered how an Excelsior Henderson front end would look on a Rocket.. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts