Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I bought a 2016 America LT a couple of weeks ago. I’ve removed the SAI, lambda sensors, & air box snorkel. I have re-worked a Triumph map using TuneEcu, & she now runs sweetly throughout the whole rev range. The thing that I am struggling to come to terms with is the very harsh/hard ride. I have changed the rear shocks for a pair on Hagon’s, which has helped slightly, but on anything other than a very smooth road, it feels like there’s 200psi in each tyre & the suspension has been welded up. Tyre pressures are 40rear, 36front.
Is this just how the bikes are? I’ve never had a bike with such a choppy ride over small bumps.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
While I would never call the ride on my America plush, it was no more harsh than any other motorcycle I have ridden with stock suspension. I've never used Hagon shocks but they are a name brand, reasonably reviewed and you are not alone selecting them. From my own experience improving the rear suspension did help the ride a bit but also helped me to decide to improve the front as well. And what I mean by "help the ride a bit" was a more compliant feel with better contact with the road and stability, not making the ride softer. I then changed the front fork springs and tweaked fluid level. Then wound up putting the stock fork springs back in with some Ricor Intiminators and was happier.
I tend to keep the rear tire inflated between 33-35 PSI. Not sure what your VIN label may suggest but 40 PSI seems a little hard for my preference.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
While I would never call the ride on my America plush, it was no more harsh than any other motorcycle I have ridden with stock suspension....
I agree. Been riding mine since 2012. I'm 73 years old, with a bad back. I just take it easy over railroad tracks and dips. Everything is stock (2002). ...J.D.

·
Registered
214 Posts
bobbob: I know where you are coming from. My America has a “firm” ride too. I haven’t bought any new shocks or done fork mods. I did mount a sprung Tuetonic 1000 mile seat though. That made a huge difference!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2010 America. I installed a pair of progressive 412s and noticed a small improvement. Still rides rough, though.

I put a pair of progressive 440s on my 2004 America and it made a big difference - I lived on a pot-hole dirt road at the time.

Progressive “updated” their 440s, to 444s.

The new 444s get pretty good ratings on Fast Eddy’s page so they might be worth considering.

Here’s a link: https://www.fasteddysports.com/products-page/?product_id=416

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
376 Posts
which hagons did you get? I found the 2810's to be excellent. They are built to suit you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Cloudy, they were model number 32037SA1, Hagon built them to suit my weight (without laughing). They definitely ride better than the stock ones, I’m beginning to think it could be the tyres that problem, Metzeler M880, recommended psi is 42 in the rear, I’m gonna try dropping it to 30 & change them to Avon’s in the winter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What tyres are you using? I’m beginning to think it might be the Metzeler M880 Marathons that are causing the harsh ride. I’ve had literally dozens of bikes, none have ever been as ‘jarring’ over rumble strips etc as this one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
they were model number 32037SA1
These are Hagon Classic shocks. It's easy to confuse a harsh ride with shocks that are bottoming out because the springs are under rated. To check, push the rubber bump stop on one shock down the damper rod until it rests on the damper body. Go for a ride and if the bump stop ends up at the top of the rod it's bottoming out. Try it on each preload.

I put 18kg springs on my Hagons and they bottomed out even on the highest preload. I changed to 20kg and it occasionally bottoms out on the mid preload. I'm happy with that because these shocks only have 70mm of travel, so if you try to eliminate all bottoming the ride will be too harsh 90% of the time.

In your case you might find it never bottoms out, in which case your springs are too stiff. You won't know until you do some testing.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I’m beginning to think it might be the Metzeler M880 Marathons that are causing the harsh ride.
I had the older Me880 rear tire when new. Not a great tire but okay and lasted a good while. I changed brands years ago and there are several past tire threads here.
Seems that when the Marathon name was added they were also said to be longer lasting. Tougher tire may have equaled tougher ride?

edit: And as mentioned before, don't overlook the contribution the front suspension makes to the situation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just installed Ricor Intiminators with 5w Amsoil fork oil. Highly recommend! Planted front tire, smooth over speed bumps and small potholes. Helps the rear too! Next mod is Hagon 2180 shocks.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The only concessions I have made to soften the ride was to adjust the preload on the stock setup to full soft. (Takes about 30 seconds). I think part of the issue might be the weight of the rider. I am a slim 234 lbs. :) ...J.D.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve dropped the tyre pressures from the recommended 30f & 42r, to 26f & 35r. I’ll be off for a ride on Monday & see if it’s helped. Regardless, I think I’ll be changing the tyres to Avon Cobras over the winter when I get the wheels powder coated.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Those pressures are a bit too low especially the front. front would be better at 30-32. I ran my rear on the speedmaster at 38 and front at 36. I did have Hagon 2810's 10mm longer than stock and progressive springs in front with 50/50 mix of 10w and 15w oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts