Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am in the process of renovating & re-jetting a pair of carbs from a 2003 America, when I came upon an anomoly. Firstly the main jet holder on the l/h carb had 2 washers (Shims) attached & on removal of said washers I find the main jet is stuck in the holder, and the holder itself is deformed. Have searched high & low for replacement main jet holder, but have been unable to locate any. Has anyone information of a good supplier?

Why would the main jet holder be shimmed in this way, anyone got a clue, & does the deformed holder affect the carb function?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There should be a collar at the distorted end of your jet holder and without it the carb won't work rite. Look through (great sources of info) on this form to find pictures of the main jet with jet holder and collar.
You may be able to straighten your jet holder by inserting a large nail or small screw driver that fits snugly in the distorted end and with a small hammer tap it back into a round shape.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't know if a person could anneal the (brass?) jet holder ? heat it some and use the vise from a flaring tool to collapse the tube back to a more normal dimension. Perhaps with a solid round stock of an appropriate diameter to insure the tube would not collapse too far? My guess for the washers would be to allow the l/h carb to run richer in A/F by increasing the effective distance from needle to jet? These keihin carbs are used on many scooters besides Triumph. Try some other (Japan bike, Harley) shops in your search for parts. Or try to buy a used carb for parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts