Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Which America?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am new to the cruising life and trying to decide on a starter bike. I am really hooked on the America and I am trying to decide on the 2007 model (new on sale) or the new 2009 model. Is the new 2009 worth an extra $1800?

Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good morning,

Welcome to the world of Triumph Motorcycles. Your choice of the America is a good one. The motor is bullet proof and develops great real world power.

As far as chosing between the two models, I would suggest you spend the extra money and buy the 09', especially if it has fuel injection, which I can't remember if it does or not. I think it does but check with someone more knowledgable than myself. All I know is that my own Triumph is fuel injected and it makes everything so much easier, reliable and it gets better gas mileage too! Sounds like it's worth the extra money to me.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
If you plan on keeping the bike for about 5 years then I would take the '07 and save the $1,800 (or blow it on accessories). If you think you might sell it in a year or two then I'd go for the '09. You'll get back your $1800 or more when you sell the '09.

Either way you end up with a great bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
fuel injected

the 09 is fuel injected and produces a couple more hp , a little less maint. and 2 years of warranty , I have a 2007 it's a great bike , it also was the last year for the tapered tank ( at knees ) and the black and sunset red plus 1800 you can spend on goodies , it's a tough choice either way you can't lose.....g.e.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would go for the looks of an 09 get the less computerized 07 and just get an 08 then you will have the best of both worlds . Just oppinion though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback :)

Wow :)

I was hoping for just a reply or two over the next week.... It’s great to see lots of love for the America :)

Kirk:
"I would suggest you spend the extra money and buy the 09', especially if it has fuel injection, which I can't remember if it does or not. "

Thanks for the Welcome Kirk. Based on the comments in this Thread and some checking I did, the 09 does come with fuel injection. It' sounds like it was done to meeting some new emission requirements. I have also heard that there maybe some problems with carb setup when there was a lot of rain. Anyone run into problems with the carb and lots of rain?

haggis95
"Going to move this to the Twins forum, where it will get more traffic and replies!"

Thanks for moving the posting to a more appropriate forum. I will keep this in mind when doing any future postings :) I am assuming you also setup the polling for "Which America" ... great Idea. The last I checked it was 5 to 4 for the 2007. This should be interesting.

pjamesb80

Thanks for the comment. Hmmm... not sure how long I will have the bike, as this will be my first. I don't see myself moving up to a larger bike so I would expect to have the bike for many years to come.

eckam49

Thanks for the comment. I think the 07 also has a two year warranty so that should be the same. The newer tank for the 08 and 09 models looks a little nicer to me but not enough to push me one way or the other. I really like the black and sunset red but the dealer does not have that color for the 07’s he has in stock.

Does anyone know if the new tanks for the 08 and 09 models holds more gas or is the change just cosmetic?

americana
" looks of an 09 get the less computerized 07 and just get an 08"

Thanks for the comment. Actually I don't think the dealer has any 08's but I will need to check. Maybe I can get a deal with the 08 model if he has any. As the fuel injection is new with the 09 model.... anyone run into any problems with this setup?

Thanks all for your comments. This is greatly appreciated.

cheers,

JR-America

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got a 08 because were the EFI is great I did not want to have to drive a hour ever time I needed some thing done. A independent shop can work on a carb a lot easier. Plus new 08 or 07 comes with $750 in accessory's or 3.9% financing or 400 cash back.

Chuck

·
Registered
32 Posts
So...since this was posted back in March... which bike did you get? I've got an 07 and LOVE IT! I'm on the tail end of my first multi-day trip from Omaha, NE to Sacramento, CA and back. My longest day has been 720 miles. The only issue I noticed is my bike is tuned for 1000ft above sea level...when I was above 5000ft I notice the idle was lower and wouldn't idle long without feathering the throttle...assumingly because the fuel-air mixture was different. I would have had to do a temp adjust if I wasn't just passing through. She ran strong running around CA.

-Michael G.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I went for the 08, the same as the 09.

Because, a few more ponies, a larger fuel tank and better MPG.
Some do not like the shape of the new tank, I do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts