Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This getting ridiculous, this is the 3rd time that my street twin is not working properly. Started riding this morning and the throttle became unresponsive and the amber engine malfunction light up!

I understand that this is a complete new generation of bikes but is getting to the point that is just not reliable and a bit unsafe to ride.... Also, I've just picked the bike 3 days ago from the triumph in New York to fix exactly the same problem...

So now I have to wait for another week to get the bike in the garage!

Really annoying!

/pedro

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's an off chance it'll work, but disconnect the battery for a minute and reconnect. It sounds like a faulty connection somewhere for this to happen. If you can, also unplug and re plug any connectors you can see. It'll cost you nothing but a bit of time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is the problem with the modern side of these classic styled bikes
Just like modern cars.. It's great when it's all working but when there's something the ecu doesn't like you've had it and your into the world of diagnostics to find the problem

Unfortunately this will mean for now a trip to the dealer
Maybe with your bike you've been unlucky enough to have one with one or a few bad components

I hope that triumph can sort your bike out

·
Registered
173 Posts
FWIW, also check to make sure your gas cap is tight. This WILL throw the Check Engine Light on cars; probably not so with Triumph motorcycles but what the heck, you've nothing to lose. I know on cars you have to do a start-drive-shutdown cycle 3 times to auto clear the check engine light.

I don't have a shop manual for the Bonneville but I do for my Explorer. I scanned through it and there is no fault code that I could find that has anything to do with a faulty fuel tank filler cap or leak. So, I would surmise this isn't an issue with your bike.

However, as beagle1 pointed out, it could be an intermittent wire connection or ground. Easily half of the fault codes in my Explorer manual can be caused by open or intermittent wiring or bad grounds. It also can be caused by leaky vacuum lines, vent hoses, etc. Believe it or not, a bad brake switch can cause the Limp Home Mode.

So, I agree with beagle1 in that spending some time while you are waiting to get the bike in the shop looking for loose wires and such is worth it. I am not a fan of the way Triumph laid out the wiring under the seat; too many tight bends and strains on harnesses. High potential for pulled wires, chafing insulation and short circuits exists here.

Also, I just have to ask: Have you added any electrical accessories to your bike? That is the FIRST place I would look.

Good luck and please do let us know what the final cause was.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This getting ridiculous, this is the 3rd time that my street twin is not working properly. Started riding this morning and the throttle became unresponsive and the amber engine malfunction light up!

I understand that this is a complete new generation of bikes but is getting to the point that is just not reliable and a bit unsafe to ride.... Also, I've just picked the bike 3 days ago from the triumph in New York to fix exactly the same problem...

So now I have to wait for another week to get the bike in the garage!

Really annoying!

/pedro
What was done to fix it the first time it was in the shop?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I tried disconnecting the battery and it works! The engine alert light is gone but I think there is still a problem somewhere...

I have no added any electrical accessories, the only think I've added is the mirrors!

The only thing that the dealers garage has done is plugged to the computer and update the onboard computer system!

Will update this once i get the bike back from the garage

·
Registered
259 Posts
...sounds like an intermittent fault..it could be absolutely anything from a short to a loose connection...a plug in scan should pick it up, providing it's playing up at the time. Disconnecting the battery can sometimes clear the ECU back to default mode. Always carry a suitable spanner in yer bag...or taped to under the seat somewhere. They can be a bugger to find sometimes.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Teething problems, ride it out Triumph makes solid machines that will run on for a long time. There will be other glitches with electodemons but rarely mechanical failures. Learn your bike in and out to understand how it lives.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not saying that Triumph makes bad quality motorcycles, but so far the bike has been at the dealers or broken for 15 days and still not fix. I have only own the bike for 3 months.

In any manufacturing process they will have a porcentage of products that will not be perfect, no matter how strict your quality control is, so I'm afraid I got one of those.

Also, now that the motorcycle has been parked for 4 days I've discovered an oil leak!
@vitesse i do love riding the street twin but I feel that These are not anymore teething problems so I feel the need to return this particular motorcycle and get a replacement. :frown2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts