Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completely stripped down the 955i, and was surprised what was inside :)

Red cams?

Here's the rest of the tear down

Pistons and liners definitely need a good scrub. I'm also wondering if that tranny will fit our case? Anyone a transmission guru? I was expecting green cams in there, so I'm pleased that they're red!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
That's what I was wondering....If the tranny would fit.

It looks to me like your are the one person right now with the opportunity to compare the to assemblies to see how different they are and if they will work.

According to the Gearingcommader.com site, the TBS and the 955 Sprint ST have the same gear ratios. But everytime I ride either one, there is just no way that's true.

So you like those red cams, eh? The Ignitech egniter is available for less than what folks want for the S3, Sprint and Trident igniters. And it's fully programmable, so you can tweak it how you want.
If you get the Ignitech, let me know. I have some "snapshots" of how I set mine up to run with the red cams and pods. I think I have them posted in the setups thread.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Charlie

Is your Sprint 955 a 2nd gen model (02-) tho' ? (Presuming g'box changed..)

Frosty's 955 here is clearly a 1st gen (or cams would be different etc.)

According to my info, cams used were not exactly as 'red' (Super III) cams, but quite similar with small variations between Sprint, S3 and Daytona during 1st gen 955 models. (Main difference, roughly, similar lift but shorter intake duration on Sprints) But much nearer 'red' than 'green' T3 cams.

IIRC the Super III had some other upgraded engine internals as well.

Personally, I wouldn't put 'red' or similar cams in a stock T3 885 engine. With pods or similar, 'green' cams should still be nudging 100hp, even with the slightly lower compression of our 'classic' heads, and still provide a reliable motor.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
My 'red' cams came from a 2001 S3.
And yes, Mike. My Sprint ST is an 02, second generation 955.
But I wonder what the gear ratios of the first gen 955 were and if the tranny would fit in the 885 triple. My first Triumph was a 2000 Sprint ST, and the gear ratio felt similar, if almost identical to my 02.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So about that compression. Do the 955i engines get higher compression from the pistons, or from the head being closer to the pistons? I'm hoping that with the cams pistons and liners, I will get the same power band of the 99 sprint. Jetting will be a pain probably, but since that header has an o2 port, I'll grab a a/f gauge and get a good baseline without having to guess. Getting excited!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Don't know about that. On 885s the compression difference is not with pistons.

For 955s the con rods are different but gudgeon pin and bearing shells are the same as 885s.

Looks like main bearing shells are the same, 955/885

(obviously, this is for 955s to 2001, 1st gen models)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Does that 955 transmission fit in the 885 case?
I see a couple gen 1 Sprint trannies on ebay now that are fairly reasonable....

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't know for a while, I'm going to throw all of that stuff into a donor engine. I don't want to do this conversion on my good running motor and it end up not working haha. There is a tbs motor for sale at the triumph dealership but they want too much for it. I'm sort of getting to know the guys there now so I'll try and get them to sweeten the deal somehow ;)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
^^^ good luck with that.
Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
ditto, cool project :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm always impressed by/jealous of people who can do this stuff.

I don't think I've got the cojones to go pulling apart my engine.

Very cool!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. With all the resources I have, it should go together pretty well! I might get too impatient and decide to tear my engine apart haha. Will definitely keep you all posted

1 - 13 of 13 Posts