Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been working on a 73 bonniville and am having problems with the carbs. i removed them and soaked them in carb cleaner and blew them out ,i reset the floats. the problem is the bike isn't getting gas and won't start. it will start for a second if i spray starting fluid in it. if i try to trickle the right carb the gas comes out the center hole in the air cleaner side of carb.if i try to trickle the Left it won't trickle at all though the carb gasket seems to be wet. when i reset the floats i was very careful so i sort of think it might be another problem. please help.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Is there fluid in either of the floats?
You reset the floats...to .080" below the lip?
see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dROb_xD200k
You can do this by warming the bowl in hot water and knocking the jet gently from below with a 1/8th drift.
Put the bike on the centre stand.
Sounds as if the right carb is flooding badly.
You should remove the bowls and check the float action, and that the float needle shuts the fuel off, when the float is up. Get viton tipped needles...look at the orifice for wear/damage.
Check filters in the banjos.
Check fuel pipes. Turn on both petrol taps and check the flow, especially to the left carb.
Also make sure the tank cap breather is not blocked.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just took off the left carb, the float looked ok, the pilot jet was clogged, i got it opened with a small wire.i found i forgot the hose between the intake manifolds.i have it soaking in carb cleaner now.i'll check it all again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i got the bike running and it runs good,but now im having problems with the throttle cables, they are new from MAP. one has no slack at all and the other very little.also when i turn the handle bars to the right the speed increases and you can see the slides move.its aggravating to be this close and have these problems.any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Being a UK model my throttle cables have a 1 into 2 junction box.
I can only suggest that you check the cables are the correct length and the twistgrip assembly is right.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok, i had a couple of bad throttle cables, the bike runs but the throttle has to be open. i think i have an air intake leak on the right carb, when i spray carb cleaner on the carb/intake joint the speed increases. ive tried two different seals there, an aftermarket one and an amal one and they both seem to leak. is that all that goes between there is the seal,seems like a gasket should go there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im making headway, i got the bike to idle but when it gets to about 3000rpm it starts popping, i think it's mostly from the left clyinder.would this be the needle position. i have the clip in the middle grove.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts