Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a customers bike, 79 T140E, and its the 1st time I've ever come across Amal mk2 concentrics... never dealt with them before, so its silly question time:

re. starting: are the plungers in the cold start mechanism supposed to be "up or down" for cold starting the bike? The owner has junked the standard airbox and fitted 2 huge conical K&N air filters. Anything I should be aware of? I'm just worried that if the carbs are anything like the condition of the rest of the bike I've got my work cut out...... and I could really do with a nice relaxing day today.....

(a bit of background history of the bike: originally taken to a bike shop to sort out "oil leaks" but the shop farmed out the work my way - apparently the bike was a runner when it was brought in. In my quest to sort the oil leaks I've found all sorts of horrors - shagged valves, guides, knackered pistons, worn oil pump, buggered clutch and shagged chain and sprockets - all discovered whilst on a mission to replace oil seals, gaskets etc. The engine as of today has been comprehensively rebuilt. I've now reached the point of the carbs, hence my question re starting)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A customer's bike?

Scary.
Triton, ta for the answer. Scary? Good God, this bike's a mess! When I was originally approached by the shop over the phone it was "we've got an old triumph, can you sort the oil leaks out?" - mmmmmmmmmm well, this has to be the worst bike I've ever come across re bodges and sheer bloodied muppetry.... I've taken loads of photo's of the things I discovered whilst making the beast oil tight... yesterday I insisted the bike shop owner come over to see for himself after I asked him for more money to cover the cost of parts...

what should have been a 2 day max oil leak fix job has turned into a complete engine/gearbox rebuild... scary!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Check the rubbers on the plungers, if they look like little top hats they are worn and will not seal. (You'll see what I mean if you take them out).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts