Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got through doing my first rebuild on my carbs, followed the setting suggestions here which I reached through the "Pilot Jets" thread here.

She starts and runs beautifully on the second kick, Idles up around 4000-4500 with chokes on. I started it with the chokes on, clicked them off and fluttered the throttle until it warmed and idled on it's own with no throttle input.

It did idle high still (around 2500) then I noticed my headpipes getting a dull cherry red (indicating running lean). Shut everything down and let her cool off for 3-4 minutes. Turned my pilot jet screws in 1/4 turn and now she doesn't want to start for me.

To be honest I kicked a few more times, choke off, then choke on with a little bit of sputtering but no starty. After this, I rolled it into the garage so I can think via a nice beer while cooking dinner.

What is the correct setting for my pilot jet screws? What is my correct idle? FWIW, after going through the settings as listed on the site above I did not need to make adjustments to make either slide open completely or make them open simultaneously. I'm open to any suggestions or advice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I have a massive vacuum leak. The rubber boot that mounts the carbs to the intake nozzles just appeared to have surface weather cracking, but while running the bike and trying to tune the carbs I noticed moisture on the outside of the boot near the crack.

What is a good source for replacement boots? A bunch of guys I know use things similar to these to go from carbs to pod filters. Is there any reason I shouldn't give these a try? Thanks for reading and advice guys.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
why not use the correct part?
60-7076.

They cost £5 each here and my local Triumph shop has them in stock, or others that I use do them mail order with a few days delay.

the correct rubber will be recessed to hold the clips and made of the correct petrol resistant material.

a common problem is over tightening - hence your split. also look at the balance tube between carbs

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Dave, mostly I was just being a tightwad. Has anyone dealt with Klempf's British Parts? They seem to be the closest Triumph supplier to me (only ~1000 miles away) :rolleyes: and I'll get in touch with them on payday.

I'm just getting antsy since this bike is getting so close to rideable for me. :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
well,

use the bit of hose that you can get but if I was you, I'd order the correct part.

Otherwise you might have a problem later for the sake of $15?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Mitch Klempf is a good guy and helpful too. He might even send some free candy with your order.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys, I get paid Friday and I'll get ahold of Klempf's to order the correct parts. I'll probably be back in a week or so once I get the parts with more tuning questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts