Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get a '70 T120 running that's been sitting for 5-6 years. Its seems the cylinders are not getting gas. I've replaced the electrical system, new rings and valves. The timing's correct and the valves are working. The carbs are Amal 930s. There's gas in the float chambers. The slides are very sticky. Any suggestions on troubleshooting?
Bob

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Strip and have them ultrasonicly cleaned. Home ultrasonic cleaners are quite cheap. Use warm water and a propritory ultrasonic cleaner additive. Reassemble using genuine Amal repair kit. www.[B]amalcarb[/B].co.uk/

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
failing ultrasonic cleaning - good carb cleaner will do the trick - purchase amal rebuild kits, strip and clean them , spend time making sure all surfaces are cleaned, piano wire
is goo to clean out the air passages in the carb body - compressed air a must- google amal tuning - you'll find a plethora of carb tuning information - i'm pretty certain there isnt a carb that been written about more than the amal - very easy to clean and tune.

marc

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Heh. "Proprietary ultrasonic cleaner additive" = liquid dish soap.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
if the carbs have not been refurbished as part of your "bringing back to life procedure" they likely have some blocked passages. I use a product called Super Clean available at discount auto strores in a spray bottle or bulk it's similar to real consentrated 409 or Fantastic. Disasemble and after cleaning with a little acid brush rinse in the hottest water you can stand and blow dry. Make sure needle and main jets are clear and also the pilot jet which pressed into the carb body behind the mixture screw. USE ONLY ONE STRAND OF ELECTRICAL WIRE TO CLEAR THIS JET as it is easy to ream it oversize. Chase some WD 40 through this jet with air press regulated down to around 20psi or just use the WD 40 straw. You are looking for clear idle passeges here. If open you will see WD 40 or air at the small drilled hole at the mouth of the carb, at the small tapped hole at the bottom of the carb body, and at the two tiny holes inside the carb bore. If not open, engine will never idle. The "sticky" slides unfortunatly could be warped carb bodies caused by over tightening the flange nuts. I've had good luck fixing this issue though. If you find that's the case shoot me a pm if your interested It'd be easier to tell you on the phone than typing it all out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts